TTORA Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It had those tires on when I bought it. Think that's a bit excessive considering its full time 4WD. Those tires will be up for sale shortly.

Got a great deal on some old style MTR's of the 35" variety. Just need to get them mounted on the rims that are sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Work from earlier today...

Finished up the rear suspension. Put in the adjustable LCAs as well, and without much issue.

Also managed to get the rear third in.

And finishing off with a nice cold beer!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No pics, but I did get a few more things done. SO CLOSE to being on the road again.

ARB compressor and switches are wired into the dash and very cleanly as well. Front diff is filled with fluid. Waiting on a fill plug to arrive since the PO rounded the shit out of it and I had to grind it off. Got the 35" MTR's mounted on soft 8 wheels. Also, while wiring the switches in the dash, I installed a CB radio and a normal radio as well. Both fit perfectly in the dash.

·
Registered
237 Posts
sweet rig man, ive been contemplating selling my taco and getting an 80-series, all that extra space coming from a xtra-cab would be so so nice!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
just thought id let you know you made me want an 80 enough that i sold my Tacoma and bought one!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That is one clean looking LX! Where did you pick that one up at? I think the guy I bought my MTR's from was selling his (in Castle Rock). Do shed some details on it. Looks like its well prepped for the trails.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I've done a terrible job of keeping this up to date. So here's the finished product.

It's still slow. But it'll do 55-60. Freeway speeds...eh...not so much fun, or easily attained.

Some pics...

Front end complete with the adjustable panhard rod:

Rear end:

Compressor switch (left of steering wheel):

F/R locker switches, radio and CB:

Finally a couple exterior shots. It sits a bit higher in the back since the rear springs are meant for a heavier constant load. Should even out a bit once I get the rear tire stored, as well as all the gear I normally take on the trail.

Still have about 200 miles before I change the diff fluids, but I'm looking forward to getting it on the trail. It might be slow, but it rides like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
237 Posts
So I've done a terrible job of keeping this up to date. So here's the finished product.

It's still slow. But it'll do 55-60. Freeway speeds...eh...not so much fun, or easily attained.

Some pics...

Front end complete with the adjustable panhard rod:

Rear end:

Compressor switch (left of steering wheel):

F/R locker switches, radio and CB:

Finally a couple exterior shots. It sits a bit higher in the back since the rear springs are meant for a heavier constant load. Should even out a bit once I get the rear tire stored, as well as all the gear I normally take on the trail.

Still have about 200 miles before I change the diff fluids, but I'm looking forward to getting it on the trail. It might be slow, but it rides like a Cadillac.
Man oh man your 80 is looking sweet!
some specs on my trail whale are:
slee 4" lift
Slee F&R bumper with tire carrier
Warn M8000 winch
Hanna Sliders
315 duratracs
re-covered 1st & 2nd row seats (front seats have seat warmers :p)
LED taillights and interior lighting
HID projector headlights

i think thats it, i bought it off IH8MUD from a guy in North Carolina. it was a fast and furious sale, i sold my truck the 21 of december then flew out to NC that night and picked the truck up in the morning when i got off the plane on the 22nd. after everything checked out i paid him and headed home with it. i made it back home to boulder the mext day (monday the 23rd) by 6pm. But i can not wait to get it on the trail i really wanna use the F&R lockers :D so exicted!

edit: how do you like 5.29's and 35's? im running stock gearing to the best of my knowledge and it isnt to bad. ill prolly end up regearing to 4.88's when i move up to 37's!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
edit: how do you like 5.29's and 35's? im running stock gearing to the best of my knowledge and it isnt to bad. ill prolly end up regearing to 4.88's when i move up to 37's!
Well 5.29s for me are a huge help since I have an already slow 3FE with 200k+ miles. Plus the transmission ratios are a bit different between the FJ80 (91-92) and the FZJ80 (93-97). Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think its the overdrive. I'll be fine on 55 mph 2 lane roads, but the freeway just isn't really an option for this tank. Luckily I can tow longer distances with my Super Duty.

You'd probably be fine with 37's and 4.88s since the 1FZ-FE makes considerably more power. Unless you want the lower gearing for the trail, I don't think you'd need the 5.29's. They do have lower gearsavailable for the x-case.

I really really really want to get this thing out before I leave the last week of January for school in VA. Even if it's something as easy as the Gulches or what not. Certainly can't be too hard as my cats have no protection. Sliders will be on order so they arrive when I get back from VA!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've still got a couple things in mind for the 80. The rear bumper will be getting a bottle opener. Obvious necessity. And I'll be pulling the 3rd row seats today most likely, trying to get some measurements for what I can get back there in the way of storage boxes. I'd love to get a couple wheel well tool boxes. Would be accessible from the inside as well as from the rear windows. I'm way too cheap for a drawer system. More to follow on that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've still got a couple things in mind for the 80. The rear bumper will be getting a bottle opener. Obvious necessity. And I'll be pulling the 3rd row seats today most likely, trying to get some measurements for what I can get back there in the way of storage boxes. I'd love to get a couple wheel well tool boxes. Would be accessible from the inside as well as from the rear windows. I'm way too cheap for a drawer system. More to follow on that.
I really want some over the wheel well storage/cargo carriers, ive seen a few setups that i really like on MUD. and if you wanna go hit a trail let me know im usually up for them weekends if im not on the mountain.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Took the time to change the spark plugs and adjust the accelerator and transmission cables. It made a huge difference in the way it drove. It now accelerates better, upshifts smoother and downshifts faster when it needs the extra power. I also took the time to do the 7 pin mod so I have full control over locking up the transfer case.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey Offrue,

if you dont mind me asking how much was it to have slee set up the new gearing in your diff? Im thinking its about time to jump to 4.88's since my rear pinion seal is seeping a little. it will probably be more since i have e-lockers but i just want to get a ball park!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts