TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right guys i need some honest opinions. Ive been tossing around the idea of selling the tacoma. Why? Because i cant have a vehicle for more than 3 years. Now that might be true but the real reason is i have been kicking myself for a while for not getting a double cab to begin with.

I have been very happy with my truck and the places its taken me but i want more cab space and most of all a automatic. My truck is pretty much done now with the exception diff gears and a front locker. Copious amounts of money and time have been invested in it, but if i plan on doing it the time would be now.

My plan is to have a truck geared more to expo and then buy a p.o.s that i could beat on and not care about my resale value and is cheap to maintain, i.e. a 22re solid axle.

The vehicles that im looking for would be either a double cab taco or uzj 100-lx 470. Gear and lock both diffs and put a winch on it, that should get me anywhere i need to. Im very unhappy with my duals at this point and i cant really go back to stock.

Im thinking of making a WTT post on cl to see if i get any bites then putting a asking price.

Ok boys:flamethro

·
Registered
746 Posts
Just for fun...

:flamethro

I vote for the double cab. They only reason I like the extra cabs better is because you can sleep in the bed. The double cab beds are just too short for that. But you can fix that with a rtt. I say get what you really want and don't look back.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Man I was really looking forward to you swapping this one. I dunno, besides the headache with the duals your truck is dialed in, I say keep it. But if your going to do it, putting a WTT ad here, CL, and all the other offroading sites is a good idea. If you picked up a dcab that's already at least partially done right you could save alot of money.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Man I was really looking forward to you swapping this one. I dunno, besides the headache with the duals your truck is dialed in, I say keep it. But if your going to do it, putting a WTT ad here, CL, and all the other offroading sites is a good idea. If you picked up a dcab that's already at least partially done right you could save alot of money.
Funny too because Brad (hyena) just sold his double cab with duals lol

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:supergay:

If you must.... pull the duals and put em in a double cab.
Thats just it man i dont want duals anymore. Lets just say i was less then impressed from what josh told me about the coupler. I dont know if its a m/t thing or im just unlucky. I think with 4.88 or 5.29's and arb's it should work great with 33's. Thanks for the input guys keep it coming

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thats just it man i dont want duals anymore. Lets just say i was less then impressed from what josh told me about the coupler. I dont know if its a m/t thing or im just unlucky. I think with 4.88 or 5.29's and arb's it should work great with 33's. Thanks for the input guys keep it coming
Ahhh I gotcha. I'm loving my 5.13's and 33ish" tires. Go for 5.29's in an automatic, you'll love it. I'm still slacking on getting the arb's hooked up but I'm sure I'll love it even more.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either of your preferences if you're only building an expo truck. I just think the 100 series LC's would be way too fuckin heavy. But they ARE sweet. You know the DC would prob be cheaper to maintain though.... with either a 3.4 or a 2.7. Both are great engines.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The vehicles that im looking for would be either a double cab taco or uzj 100-lx 470. Gear and lock both diffs and put a winch on it, that should get me anywhere i need to.

Im thinking of making a WTT post on cl to see if i get any bites then putting a asking price.

Ok boys:flamethro
Why the 100 and not the 80? Do you want the V8? I've always loved the 80s and you can find them with factory front/rear lockers. They run forever and you can have a solid axle.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4166673229.html

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
375 Posts
I love the 80's too but they get absolutely awful gas milage.
12 being unloaded going down hill in neutral
That is very true, and if you are going to expo then long distance that would be a killer for sure. However I'm not sure the 470 or 100 gets much better according to edmunds AND the 470 requires premium:

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/lx-470/2003/features-specs.html?style=100164285

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/land-cruiser/2003/features-specs.html?style=100166456

But if you are going to truly build an expo rig then I personally think the 100 would be the better platform. It's what they were really built for back in the day. They have tons of space, there is lots of aftermarket parts for overland setups, and they are super comfortable on long distances. Not to mention that V8 will run for ever.

Here is a cool pic of one all setup for overlanding:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicle_testing/Top_10_Used_4wds/Top_10.jpg

I drove one towing my boat from Walnut Creek to Shasta and back a few years ago and it was really comfortable and lots of power. It made me want to buy one but it was just too much vehicle for me at that time.

They even have a factory rear e-locker available. Here is one on CL now:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4169972481.html

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so im testing the waters with the taco on craigslist. We'll see if i get any serious hits, my next question is should i put the tacoma back to stock and sell it or not? I basically want a dc version of my truck so i would save alot of money by not buying all these mods again

·
Registered
746 Posts
Take it back to stock, especially the inchworm. It seems like a built truck isn't worth any more then a stock one. Unless you can find a DC that is semi built. But, if you're going to do an axle swap, it doesn't really matter.

This one is ready to go!
http://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/4263559893.html
Double Cab, SAS, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, on 40s...$12k

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks charlie, it does seem thats the best route. Unfortunatelyi with the snorkel mod and chopped bed it will be somewhat difficult. I can always get a new Fender that's not a problem, but the bed the different story. I was thinking about having my buddy make a new bumper for me for cheap cuz i would like to keep this one

·
Registered
746 Posts
I saw your CL add. You should post that thing on the Humboldt one too, just for the hell of it. Toyotas really hold their value up here. Must be the farming economy...you know, farming...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ok so im testing the waters with the taco on craigslist. We'll see if i get any serious hits, my next question is should i put the tacoma back to stock and sell it or not? I basically want a dc version of my truck so i would save alot of money by not buying all these mods again
I dunno man dcabs are for homos. Are you looking to stay ifs and single case with it? 01-04 or are you looking at second gens too? I havent seen your cl post so dont know if its a wtt ad but if your serious you might be better off selling yours and buying what you want. I think people are less likely to move from a double cab to an ext cab then the other way around. For instance I moved into a dc when I had a kid. You might get lucky though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^haha! Yea ive also have thrown around the idea of a cab swap, but that sounds like a big pita! More than likely the best plan would be to strip it back to stock, pull the transmission and put a stock one back in. My truck stock is going for 8-10k right now, we'll see if i get any bites.
Im going to purchase a arb fridge and a dual battery isolating system soon and i would rather be putting money into a dc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
5 Participants
fj_fowdie
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing