TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw a guy whose Taco was flared in the rear, the bed was just pulled out a few inches, anybody know how easy this is or how to do it? i searched in tech and cheap tricks( where you would think i would find it!) and nothing comes up, mucho appreciado any help here!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I flared the fenders on my BMW a little less than an inch with the tool from Tire Rack. Cost me about 40 bucks to rent it. You can also buy them for ~200 from varous places. I'm not sure if Tire Rack still rents them out, but it was a pretty good deal, basically just shipping both ways. Just take it slow, and use a heat gun to warm up the paint so it does not crack while you roll.

That one above me is some serious flaring, I would guess they had to repaint the bed to do it that much, I highly doubt the paint will stretch that far. I'm not sure a rolling tool could flare that much either, the arm might not extend that much. Anyway, the TLT guys are all over this forum, I'm sure they will chime in and tell how they did it...

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
That one above me is some serious flaring, I would guess they had to repaint the bed to do it that much, I highly doubt the paint will stretch that far. I'm not sure a rolling tool could flare that much either, the arm might not extend that much. Anyway, the TLT guys are all over this forum, I'm sure they will chime in and tell how they did it...
I'm guessing the used a little trick called - the Fiberglass bed/fender swap-

just checking- To the OP- are you sure it wasn't a stepside tacoma bed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmmmm no, read on smarty pants! i know friggin glass when i see it. the 5th post on that thread tells all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is my white taco in the other post. Pulling the bedsides is pretty easy, usually I use a little bottle jack with a piece of scrap wood against the fender, that way you can slowly pull it out until it looks good. Then just weld (or bolt) in some supports and you are good. However, Tacoma fenders are much more sensitive to being pulled then ranger fenders, so you cannot go more than 2-4".

·
Registered
592 Posts
That is my white taco in the other post. Pulling the bedsides is pretty easy, usually I use a little bottle jack with a piece of scrap wood against the fender, that way you can slowly pull it out until it looks good. Then just weld (or bolt) in some supports and you are good. However, Tacoma fenders are much more sensitive to being pulled then ranger fenders, so you cannot go more than 2-4".
If you got 2-4", you worked a miracle. I did mine way back when & got less than 2" when measured directly above the tire. Fore /aft of the tire I got more, but I had also done the hi-clearance mod out back so it was easier. If I still had all that extra sheetmetal behind the rear tire I think it would have been way harder to pull & the result would have been less. I think the effort is worth it, though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I say 2-4" is the most you can get, You can look at mine and see they are less then 4" by far, maybe 2-2 1/2", I did not want to have any chance of creasing the fender. But I do have wheeler's rims and 33x12.5 tires and the fender covers them pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts