TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around and haven't found any solutions to the flashing airbag light. My horn, cruise, and flashers all work so it's not the spiral cable. I've tried disconnecting the battery and I've also pulled the middle dash piece to disconnect the passenger airbag harness. Nothing worked. I hate taking anything to the stealer with a passion.

Other then pulling the air bag light bulb, what are my other options?

99' Tacoma 3.4/auto

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've searched around and haven't found any solutions to the flashing airbag light. My horn, cruise, and flashers all work so it's not the spiral cable. I've tried disconnecting the battery and I've also pulled the middle dash piece to disconnect the passenger airbag harness. Nothing worked. I hate taking anything to the stealer with a passion.

Other then pulling the air bag light bulb, what are my other options?

99' Tacoma 3.4/auto
I have the same issue and ended up taking it to the dealer after trying lots of things. The dealer did a diagnostic check ($150 that goes towards the repair) and found out that the problem was actually the seatbelt tensioner and it needed to be replaced. The part was on backorder and would take 3 months to get to Concord. That was 5 months ago and still no dealership response. I haven't paid a dime yet so I'm thinking about taking it somewhere else and let them know what the dealership diagnosed the light to be and have them order the part and not spend the $350 the dealer quoted me.

~Miguel

·
Registered
526 Posts
You can jump two terminals in the diagnostic connector (underneath the hood) to get your code. Number of flashes indicate code number. It's in the online service manual under the SRS system.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
\
I have the same issue and ended up taking it to the dealer after trying lots of things. The dealer did a diagnostic check ($150 that goes towards the repair) and found out that the problem was actually the seatbelt tensioner and it needed to be replaced. The part was on backorder and would take 3 months to get to Concord. That was 5 months ago and still no dealership response. I haven't paid a dime yet so I'm thinking about taking it somewhere else and let them know what the dealership diagnosed the light to be and have them order the part and not spend the $350 the dealer quoted me.

~Miguel
Thanks Miguel. Do your seat belt tensioners work? I don't know what mine is.. I've done a lot of work in the last few weeks (installed a new trans). I may try using the terminals in the diag port like ToyotaJoe mentioned.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
\

Thanks Miguel. Do your seat belt tensioners work? I don't know what mine is.. I've done a lot of work in the last few weeks (installed a new trans). I may try using the terminals in the diag port like ToyotaJoe mentioned.
Yea, the tensioner still works. The airbag system is somehow linked to the tensioner so I'm guessing there is an electical problem in the tensioner assembly. I'm almost tempted to open it up and see if there's a loose wire or something...

Effing with air bag stuff scares the shit out of me so I'm kinda hesitant.

~Miguel

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Pffft. You got it easy. My air baglight stays on even when I take the key out of the ignition.. explain that one :rolleyes:

--Scott

·
Registered
98 Posts
flashing airbag light is the same thing i have. it started going off and on after i hit a pot hole too fast and too hard. i took it to a mechanic i know and he hooked it up to the computer for free. turned out that my drivers side airbag sensor had gone bad. he told me that it wouldn't go off unless i put a new sensor in there. is he right? this was about 7 months ago and i still haven't gotten it fixed and so far, the airbag hasn't exploded in my face...knock on wood:rolleyes: i just put a sticker over the plastic so i can't see the flashing red light because it was really annoying driving with it at night.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can live with the light or even remove the bulb. But I'm afraid to have this thing blow up in my face. Air bags scare the hell out of me too.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the fix to my flashing airbag light this morning. I was getting ready to pull the bulb out of the dash this so that I could get it to pass inspection. When I removed the lower center dash piece I noticed a bunch of yellow coated wires behind there. I unplugged the 2-12V power outlets and started it up. NO MORE AIRBAG LIGHT!

My airbag wires looked good but I think I may've had the 12V power outlet wiring crossed or something. Since those outlets are so close to the airbag wires, it might've faulted and threw the light. Not sure what else could've done it. It's fixed now and I passed inspection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts