TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a trailer to haul the crawler when it is done, plus my other projects. I know that I need at least 80" between the wheel wells. Also will be looking for at least an 18' deck because I'll be putting a toolbox & winch up front.

Questions are:

• Dovetail or flat with ramps?
  • Over the wheels (narrower overall) or between the wheel wells (lower overall) for the deck?
  • Metal (heavier but maintenance free) or wooden deck?
Anything else I should look for?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Most come with single axle brakes, but I added brakes on the front axle to take the wear off my tow rig. It made a huge difference. Disc brakes would be tits, but they are pricey. IMO, you can build over the fender if need be. My rig just fits between the fenders with a little squeeking, but it makes it. Dovetail is nice, but lowers your trailer departure angle and will drag. I never use my ramps. I take that back I used them once when I broke a lower link joint. I think they are good to have, but dead weight mostly. If you have a winch, you can ditch them. However, they have come in handy for other things not related to loading/unloading the crawler.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I prefer the flat deck as you do not have to worry about dragging every time you drop off the pavement, I do not care for the deck overs much as they are alot higher and you need to use ramps alot of times to load if its a flat deck, however I think alot of these are also dovetails so you can just drive right up. I know I use my trailer for alot of other things besides towing the buggy so keeping ramps on it is key. I use them all the time for other vehicles and/or when my shit is broke and cant get up. Brakes on both axles are nice but depending on your weight you may not even need them. Its cheap to add down the road if you need. 18" is a pretty good size and I can get my rig and a quad on it pretty easy. Mount a winch if you can as there are times it will come in handy. I wanted a metal deck but they are quite a bit more money. The wood has held up pretty good so far

A word of advice. Cover your tires when not in use. It will extend the life of them greatly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I put a jackstand under the back of the trailer when loading, keeps the hitch from popping off and wrecking my tailgate. Carry spares, bearings, spindles and shackles are usually cheap chinese...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If you're looking at trailers, PJ makes some nice stuff. I looked around for a while before deciding on what trailer to buy... That PJ I bought is pretty sweet... With a good electronic brake controller, braking was never an issue the whole time in the Colorado mtn passes. The fenders come off if your crawler is wide enough to have to drive up over the tires to get it on the trailer, which is a nice option if I ever go wider. Zilla just fits between the fenders without removing them. It came with ramps and jacks to support/level the rear, but its easy to drive onto the trailer without them too. The ass end of the trailer drags from time to time, but its stout enough to take it, so who cares really. I looked at a lot of different models, including the metal decks, higher and wider decks that sit above the tires, decks with built in tool boxes, etc. and this was the one I liked best because I wanted to keep it as narrow and low as possible to still do the job.

I do like the weight-distribution/anti-sway hitch though. Not necessary, but it sure pulls nice and feels really safe going down the rd.

Plus, I might have to winch a passenger car or my 5-lug Taco or something up onto the trailer some day, and a lower deck helps simplify that, while keeping the cargo down lower for passing under stuff, low C.O.G, etc.

Wood decks are fine, but metal would be nice too. Go with your preference. Lots of options, but they'll all work. So in the end, just get what you want. :2cents:

Here's a couple shots with the wider Creepy Crawlers on the rig... still fits up there just fine. Its an 18-footer, and the wheelbase on Zilla is 107-inches. As you can see, 16 feet would have been plenty! I've towed the D-cab Taco on this trailer as well.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insights, you all pretty much confirmed what I'd already suspected. Now to find one within my price range :)

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
For how little you're going to have to replace the wood if you take proper care of it, I'd suggest going that route over a steel deck. Steel deck trailers are nice, for sure, but they're expensive, and they get heavy quick. After pulling a steel deck trailer for awhile I'm 100% sold on only ever owning a wood deck trailer. Keep it as low and as light as possible. Shawn (jeepguys) trailer pulled great out to moab with my truck on it. Low flat deck, still no ramps necessary to load (trucks at least), and it's low enough to get cars on it easily, even without a dove tail.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Right on, Igor. That'll do! The thought of you wheeling a trailered rig that doesn't have to get you home is pretty scary. Should be some good entertainment there, Can't wait for the... :driving: :missingto

1 - 13 of 13 Posts