TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I just bought one of the original members' trucks (98 Tacoma V6 4WD auto). It has high miles, but runs great, and I have faith in Toyota reliability :D

I just put in a Flexalite electric fan (220 kit) last night, and it seems to work well. I followed one of the install guides on the net.
Here's the problem..

I used a fuse tap to tap intot he fuse labelled "A/C" on the fuse box to kick on the fans when the AC is run.. BUT, this seems to kick on the fans ANYTIME the interior vent fans are turned on whether or not the AC is on.

Am I tapping into the wrong place- do you guys tap another fuse, or tap into the AC clutch power itself?

Overall, the install wasn't too bad. I put the probe in the lower hose as some of the guys did (makes some sense to me- fans kick on when the radiator fails to cool fully), and the hose area was leaking a bit until I tightened the living poop out of it. It seems to be okay now.

Thanks in advance for any tips on where to tap AC power!

-Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave,

Just to clarify, where should I look for this wire?

I think I saw the AC compressor hiding near the bottom on the passenger's side- is there a less remote place to tap the wire from?

I tried rigging an electric fan on my 4.0L Wrangler once. It refused to work- the darn thing would overheat like crazy- I even tried a permacool 2500 CFM unit (16"), and although the installation looekd beautiful (I bolted it to the shroud- it looked stock!), I had to take it apart. I loved how it felt on the Jeep, just my gauge would go up... and up.. and up....

That was an easy one to wire though- the AC compressor sits right up top on the passenger side.

By comparison, the Taco feels like it almost doesn't need a fan to stay cool!
I have the Flexalite thermostat turned all the way down (180 degrees), and I had to push it HARD going up and down a few hills to get it to kick on for like 5 seconds (56 degree weather here this morning).
I'll bet it gets a better workout this summer!

-Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS- I saw the pics on your site just now- have you 1/4 miled your Tacoma yet? 26X+ hp at the wheels is pretty impressive!

I'm thinking of adding a supercharger to mine this summer- plus the Gadget fuel kit, and the IPT valve body mod. We'll see.. I'm fairly happy with how the truck feels as it is. Compared to the Jeep this thing cruises in luxury! Driving auto is something odd after driving stick for the last 10 years though (my left foot still 'clunks' to the floor at stop lights sometimes).

-Dave

·
Registered
731 Posts
saki302 said:
PS- I saw the pics on your site just now- have you 1/4 miled your Tacoma yet? 26X+ hp at the wheels is pretty impressive!

I'm thinking of adding a supercharger to mine this summer- plus the Gadget fuel kit, and the IPT valve body mod. We'll see.. I'm fairly happy with how the truck feels as it is. Compared to the Jeep this thing cruises in luxury! Driving auto is something odd after driving stick for the last 10 years though (my left foot still 'clunks' to the floor at stop lights sometimes).

-Dave
Thanks to URD and TRD the truck makes a lot of power. Have not taken it to the drag strip yet because it's closed for the winter. I don't know about your truck but I removed the airbox and the compressor wires are a lot easier to get too. I tapped into the wire about a foot above the compressor. There is only one wire going to the clutch on my truck so it's pretty easy to find.
Dave

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ohio_Taco said:
Had the same problem when I installed my electric fan, You need to install a diode into the wire the is connected to the fan. That way the electrical current is going only one direction. Here is a link of what you need.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-1103

Let me know if you need more info on how this works.
When I did the Perma Cool install I didn't have to install a diode. I just hooked the the wire from the controller up to the AC clutch wire and it worked fine. Don't know about the Flexalite controller but it should be the same way.

Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update-

I tapped the one wire coming off the compressor unit- and it works fine!
I have the thermostat turned all the way down (180 degrees on the FAL unit), and it still hardly kicks on in 65-70 degree weather, and not for more than about 10-20 seconds at a time for now. Shows the effectiveness of the Toyota cooling system.
My hookup worked fine with no diode, but I have the fan controller power going directly to the battery.

-Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts