TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone using either one on the 22r? my fan clutch is dying so im considering either the flex fan from lc engineering or doing the taurus fan but im more leaning towards the flex cuz, well its ford crap and i dont like booty fab on my dd let alone any of my vehicles, and the black magics are way outta my price range.
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ProductSearch.aspx?Class=1382

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ive had perfect history with my taurus e-fan, on my 3.4, i got it for 40$ at a junk yard and another 70$ for the mount kit, 75amp relay, and variable temp controller. Why pay 3 times that for something that has half the cooling capacity? If the taurus fan goes out you can get another one for only 40$, with all the fords that run this fan, its not hard to find one that has low miles on it. For anyone looking at this mod make sure your alternator can handle the current draw of the taurus e-fan before you dive in.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
taurus fan, cheaper and have heard its mroe dependable than the flexalite...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k so after a little searchin i decided that my gut instinct that puttin ford parts on a toyota is a bad idea and there was enough failures with the ford fans for me to go ahead and buy the flex fan from lc engineering. although almost to expensive for my blood i did it anyway cuz im tired of my fan clutch. ill post results wen i git it on, its expected on tuesday.

·
Registered
779 Posts
taurus fan, cheaper and have heard its mroe dependable than the flexalite...
x2 my flex a lite fan entitle 'tacoma' fan is super heavy duty and not needed... :eek: go wit taurus

EDIT : lc engineering... hmmm i just bought a fan relay from themmmm

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright so i got my fan today i decided by the looks of the fan that it is a little overpriced but i knew that coming from LC it was gunna be, i put it on, fit great, billet spacer was nice, when i started it everything worked great except for the horrendous "giant fan sound" now it is constant unlike with the stock fan clutch. i took it for a test drive and it honestly felt like theres a little less power. ill give it a couple days but i think i may consider the taurus fan after all... i cant even hear my flowmaster.... this upsets me:eek: .. oh well i give it a few days and see how it goes since my truck is affected by temprature so much.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Return that big $ item, the taurus fan is so quiet you cant hear when its on inside the cab. If your saying your FAL is so loud that it drowns out your exhaust?thats not write some how. I dont know what controller youve got but there probably is a loss of power with it on crankin like that, with all that amperage draw on the electrical.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is a mechanical fan i posted a link in my original post. So i got to do a little regular driving, and i actually do notice a little more power not alot but it is noticable, but i just dont think ill be able to deal with the noise this thing makes im gunna have to do the taurus fan, so this thing may be up for sale sometime.... disapointing i tell you...has anyone ever run the taurus fan ignition hot? without a control box..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Flex fans are loud and do rob some horsepower. Also if you ever go into really deep water the flex fan will make a nice smiley face in your radiator. :) (happened to me twice before going back to clutch fan)

I'd stick with a clutch fan or electric unit. :2cents:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well after i went and spent a little over a hundred bucks on the manual flex fan and billet spacer from LCE, i could deal with the noise, i mean it did give me a little bit more acceleration but it wasnt worth the compromise so i went ahead and did the taurus fan, i got it out of a 94 taurus 3.8 and i got a cheapo adjustable fan controller (torqflo) from autozone and it took me about 2 hours of total work time. I only hooked up the low speed with the controller for now and it seems to work good so far but i have yet to go and drive it hard, so i guess time will tell. :D

P.s. anyone interested in a flex fan from lc engineering? its only like a month or so old.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Way to go, Ill bet you dont have any noise issue with the taurus? I only hooked the low up on mine and you cant even tell if its on when your under the hood with the engine on. And Ive never had the temp go up past normal, one thing I dont like is that it seems like when the fan kicks on the power draw causes a considerable loss if horsepower.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got a Taurus fan on my 22re, and I love it.

I'm using one of these temp switches in where the block drain plug goes for on/off control of the low speed relay. 200* on and 180* off.

I also got a 3 core radiator for a 3.0 engine to replace my cracked 2 core 22re radiator. That thing cools well enough going down the road that the fan really doesn't come on all that much as long as I'm driving.

I've got it wired up so I can use low on the temp switch or high always on. I used an ON/ON switch so I will not forget to turn my fan on :rolleyes:. I put the switch in an empty slot below the hazard lights button in the dash. I used one of the power leads for the clock in the dash that gives 12+ with the key on ON to power the switch. That way the fan is only on when the key is on.

For relays, I got some from the junkyard. Nissan cars have these big blue relays that are for high amp applications. They have 2 waterproof plugs that go into the bottom of the relay and I cut that and brought it along, but regular female spade connectors fit also. On high the Taurus fan pulls 30 amps (with around a 70 amp startup) so you need some heavy duty wiring and relays.

Costs:
Taurus fan and 4 relays(I like to have spares:cool:) from junkyard - $30
Summit temp switch - $44 (they charge like $11 for a "handling charge")
Wires/fuses/switch - around $25-$30

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I gave up on Taurus fans. I went through two fans and three fan motors trying to get it to work. It was wired to a 3 positions switch. low-off-high. on my third go around i wired in a temp sensor to control the low speed and it blew another motor. taurus fans do not like muddy water.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well unfortunately i only got two day before i got problems. i dont know if its the relay or the cheap ass module that i got, but dont get me wrong those 2 days were great with the extra power and the quiet.. but now the fan only comes on wen it feels like it, so i was pokin around and found the relay would "clicky clicky" like crazy then all the sudden no clicky, so i was like ok lets just replace the relay its cheap enough, so i did and i drove it, it was great fer the trip to work then on the way home same thing, i go and tap on the crap and the fan comes on then shuts off about ten seconds later... so there i sit i decided i dont like the crappy adjustable thermostat and i need a screw in type but i dont know wut the threads are yet... anyone know? oh and a 30amp relay should be good for just low speed right? oh and now my igniter took a crap....:( i been in vegas all week and havent had a chance to check it fer sure though... i posted in another thread about that though.... you should look:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts