TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone flipped the overload spring on a 98+ model tacoma. The truck has no life left in the spring. They have 120K and only hold about 100 pounds. My thought was if you flip the overload spring it will either force the spring back into an arc, or snap a leaf. Any thoughts on the subject would be great. Its not my truck but my buddy isn't willing to shell out for a new spring. :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You will snap a leaf or make them worse, don't do it. Just bite the bullet and get some new springs. Either that or sell the truck and get a car.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,484 Posts
I don't know what your issue is. Those leaf springs will last for years to come. Mine have lasted for 230k miles and I have one less leaf in my pack then yours.

One possible solution is to install a sticker on the tailgate that says: Weight limit- 100 lbs

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Have the springs re arced- and while he is at it, he can toss in another leaf if he is able to. Or find springs of another truck and rebuild the pack. as said above, flipping the overload will lead to a failure.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I was just asking cause I'm trying to help my friend. We have all been in finacial slumps. I agree that it may not be a bright idea, but he won't even go to the boneyard to look for a suittable fix. I guess it's not my problem. Besides anything is better than a car. Those damn springs are worked though. All droop would be great if he raced desert trucks. Some of you guys can be pretty cruel though even if it was a stupid question. Unity sucks anyways. :(

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
shovelracer said:
Hey, I was just asking cause I'm trying to help my friend. We have all been in finacial slumps. I agree that it may not be a bright idea, but he won't even go to the boneyard to look for a suittable fix. I guess it's not my problem. Besides anything is better than a car. Those damn springs are worked though. All droop would be great if he raced desert trucks. Some of you guys can be pretty cruel though even if it was a stupid question. Unity sucks anyways. :(
not a stupid Q at all; at first glance it looks like a quick,cheap fix ;) It just comes up every couple of months. the answer is always the same though.

check the yellow pgs for a spring shop that can re-arch them...a lot cheaper than new pks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
New springs are cheaper than a new truck due to broken leaf on the freeway. Look for a good used set, or at the minimum install an add a leaf. summit has a pro comp set for around $30

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They look like that allright. Maybe a little worse. He only has 1-2 inches between bump stop and frame. Sorry for posting the same ol'.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
OE spring pks can be rebuilt with a 4th leaf added (OE spec material) and re-arched with up to 3" of lift added for under $300. From what the guy at the spring shop that did mine told me the OE pks are actually much better to work with than are the aftermarkets. this type of rebuild gains you about 500# of load cap as well as the lift. The 4th leaf will NOT break like often happens with just throwing an AAL into a sagged leafpk w/o re-arching and they will last a good long time...longer than aftermarket pks with the same lift.

check your yellow pgs under "spring"

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
hahaha, I cheated. I had 2 FULL tool boxes in the bed of the truck.

wasn't that way back when you used to wheel your truck? :p

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
hahaha, I cheated. I had 2 FULL tool boxes in the bed of the truck.
Damn, when I saw your first post I thought, oh well at least mine are not that bad. :eek: Now that I see why yours were flexed that way, I know mine are bad. The stuff I carry, with the fiberglass cover(heavy believe it or not) and the heavy foot w/SC has put a beeting on my springs :rolleyes: and they only have about 13K miles on them. I NEED A TRACTION BAR!,...(checking my wallet :( )

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
DCabTaco said:
Damn, when I saw your first post I thought, oh well at least mine are not that bad. :eek: Now that I see why yours were flexed that way, I know mine are bad. The stuff I carry, with the fiberglass cover(heavy believe it or not) and the heavy foot w/SC has put a beeting on my springs :rolleyes: and they only have about 13K miles on them. I NEED A TRACTION BAR!,...(checking my wallet :( )
http://www.budbuilt.com/new/traction_bars.html

http://www.bluedevilproducts.com/Home Page/Home Page, L1 Frameset.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts