TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically my old stereo setup made the rear of my truck sag. It sat like this for almost 18 months.

Someone told me that a cheap way of raising the rear of my truck is to just flip my stock leaf springs upaide down. Has anyone ever done this?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
Basically my old stereo setup made the rear of my truck sag. It sat like this for almost 18 months.

Someone told me that a cheap way of raising the rear of my truck is to just flip my stock leaf springs upaide down. Has anyone ever done this?
Your friend is a fool. Cheapest thing you can do is an AAL to help it back out...

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
Someone told me that a cheap way of raising the rear of my truck is to just flip my stock leaf springs upaide down.
Nam,
I am gonna go out on a limb and say that your friend may not be aware of your Prerunner's rear setup- And he's just passing on info that he picked up off the web.

Usually "Flipping" the springs/axle refers swapping Spring under axle to Spring Over axle-
If you have spring under - then by going spring over - you will gain height - If you do this- You will LOSE height!

THe other interpretation would be flipping the Overload spring -

I've already mentioned the best and/or cost effective options with ya

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah you have. Oh, you should see the new stereo setup :D

Anyways, he mentioned it to me. It involves flipping the overload spring, because he says they don't give. I'm gonna go with the other aftermarket springs like I talked to you about. I just wanted to here what the opinions were, cuz I've never heard of this.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
NisAznMonk said:

I suppose since this is a new forum the question was due ;)

flipping the rear overload spring will wind up ruining your leafpks entirely. A few have done this and actually snapped the leafsprings at the 'new' wear points. There have been a few who have done this who don't carry any kind of weight in the bed and took it easy on the road who did fine, however.

just get a set of inexpensive AALs (add a leaf) for around $50 and save yourself some grief.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It may fix a little of the sagging, but it will ride like crap. I know. I did it without thinking when I put in my aal. It didnt flex for crap offroad either. Just ask Rob (WATRD). As soon as I got back from wheeling I flipped it back over and been happy ever since. It did start to wear on my other leaves though and I can only assume that if I kept it that way and still wheeled and/or carried anything in the bed it would have eventually snapped. It just is a crappy idea all together.
-Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
scottnmos
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing