TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have to hear this. I took my 4runner's rear Driveshaft down to FL PTrain to get "balanced" just for good measures. I have a custom built (by Mike's driveline) CV type shaft on the rear. I found out FL powertrain has a computer balancer or whatever for driveshafts... When I dropped it off in Late January (20th?) they said the CV inerds were "wore out" and needed rebuilt. Ok, I'll buy that. they also told me they had to get the "flange" adapters for the balancing machine from their Ocala store. Ok. Well, about 1 week later, no word. I call. I get the Oh, we're waiting on parts from California. Ok.... Another week goes by. I call,.. we got a bad kit, it was missing a part we had to re-order another kit. Fine. about 2 more weeks go by. Still no word. I call... get the same "crap". We're waiting on parts. I start to get itchy. Guy finally decides to see wuts up with this thing. the new kit was delivered to the Miami store and just sitting there with no plans on getting to tampa. Bout 4 days later I call... Yup, got it back together and was told "we can't balance that shaft we don't have flange adapters". (Well duh the Ocala store has them, you told me that 1 month ago!) So I told him that I was told the ocala store has adapters. so they said this up coming monday, March 5th it'll be ready.

This whole deal with them has been an uphill battle. Nobody has ever called me back, or told me what the cost, or problem even was. I kept getting the run around.... total Cluster. I'm not sure they know WTF they're doing. so I'm at 6 weeks, and still no driveshaft. Un-freaking-believable.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
FWIW, The guys at thier Ocala store seem pretty cool. They are also the Warn service center for this area and they have warranteed a few guys winches and stuff and been nothing but excellent with thier service and when they couldn't warrantee something fixed it for really cheap.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'm going to be looking for a driveline shop VERY soon. I'm going to get the strongest drive shaft I can. I was told that since the Runner isn't my DD I should get 2 1/2" schedule 40 pipe.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Steven,

Dave (guy who had the fundraiser at his house) of Gator4x4 can retube and balance driveshafts. BTW, he just got hit by the EPA for having his rockgarden in a "wetland area" so we have to get the rocks out in 90 days or he gets fined. No more events at his place. Let me know if you want his phone number.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
Steven,

Dave (guy who had the fundraiser at his house) of Gator4x4 can retube and balance driveshafts. BTW, he just got hit by the EPA for having his rockgarden in a "wetland area" so we have to get the rocks out in 90 days or he gets fined. No more events at his place. Let me know if you want his phone number.

Are you serious!!! WTF??? Is that not his property? Stupid EPA!!! :mad: That was a freakin fun course!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about all these shopping malls? what are they built on?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
Steven,

Yes can you get me his #. Also pass on to him that Claycounty4x4 may help him out with the rocks. Tell him to get in touch with Joe.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, got my driveshaft back today. I drove down there, it was "ready" and nobody has called me today yet. Go figure. First thing I notice is theres a U joint clip just floating around in the CV area. "oh that's just a clip I couldn't get out, no big deal". Sure. Next thing I notice is theres a Zerk fitting missing from the Center CV piece. and Theres also a Zerk missing on one of the U joints. So basically it was balanced when it was not 100% built.... Frikin joke those people. They only charged me $39 though b/c I started to get pissed with them. 6 weeks and they didn't even get it 100% right. Sad, but overwith. I'll put the 2 missing Zerks in it, I pulled the U joint clip out with a pen from the counter... (real hard buddy).

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Does Claycounty actually have any means to remove the rocks? There is multiple dump truck loads out there that need to be removed, and they will need a backhoe to load them, and possibly a small excavator to load the big ones.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Well Joe has a back hoe and I'm sure some of the other members there have contacts with people that have heavy equipment.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
Steven,

Hey I sent you a PM asking for Dave's number.

·
Registered
31 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
Steven,

Just a thought, but I know someone that had wanted to fill in a pond on their property that was dug to get fill for the house pad when the place was built. The DEP (state level) told them no. They found some historical aerial photos of the property showing the pond did not exist in the past and were allowed to fill it. Perhaps something like this could be done in this case as well? I know how to get historical images back to the 1940s, I just need to know the location.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
That won't work because we put the rocks there like 6 months ago. He is looking into arguing that the land the rocks are on is not wetland because they are on the same elevation as his house, which is not on a floodplain.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
That won't work because we put the rocks there like 6 months ago. He is looking into arguing that the land the rocks are on is not wetland because they are on the same elevation as his house, which is not on a floodplain.

I hope he works it out...I REALLY want to wheel there again!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The event probably will not be held there again, while he does have an awesome place we pretty much maxed it out last time. We have another location that we are working on that will not have the same cool wheeling as Dave's but will be much more condusive to the type of event we want it to be. Last time was pretty much a trail run and only Gator4x4 and FLTTORA were officially invited, we would like to open up the invitation to other area 4x4 clubs as well which would be too much for Dave's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts