TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the Flowmaster series 40 is considerably louder then the 50 series. That it's so loud that my V6 would end up soundling like a loud tug boat. My exhaust shop is recomending the 50 as opposed to the 40. Anyone have any experience with the noise on either of these mufflers?

I'll be damed if I'm going to pay what Toyota wants for their CAT back systems. So I'm looking at changing out the can, so am hoping to hear from those of you who've done it.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've got the 50 on mine, when I listened to a 40 sitting next to mine the sound level was very obvious. A little loud for my taste. Not quite the soup can of a ricer, but it could be annoying on the highway.
I'd say stick with their recomendation
Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
with just changing out the muffler to the 50 series and not changing any of the pipe, did you notice any preformance gains? I curious as well as I'm thinking of having the muffler shop put me a flowmaster 50 series as well and wondered if you see any differences.

I'm guessing the rumble alone will be worth the $100 or so they want but, was curious if you could tell any other differences with it?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
479 Posts
I called flowmaster when I wanted to go with a cat back system and they said that their research showed that changing the pipe size didn't make any difference in performance whatsoever. They said that the muffler (stock) was very restrictive and that changing it would make a bit of difference. I think the throttle response quickend a little, but once I got my lift and tires, any performance gains became un-noticeable. I love the sound though. Also, I went up about 1 mpg after getting the new muffler, but again, that was negated after the lift and tires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ToyoTaco said:
I've heard that the Flowmaster series 40 is considerably louder then the 50 series. That it's so loud that my V6 would end up soundling like a loud tug boat. My exhaust shop is recomending the 50 as opposed to the 40. Anyone have any experience with the noise on either of these mufflers?

I'll be damed if I'm going to pay what Toyota wants for their CAT back systems. So I'm looking at changing out the can, so am hoping to hear from those of you who've done it.

I got a Flowmaster 50 on a Chevy 350 and it sounds great - low rumbles
I got a Flowmaster 70 on my 2.7 Tacoma and love it - nice and mellow

If you like alot of sound but not rediculous, go with the 50, if you want a smooth quite"ish" exhaust go with the 70 - my .02

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have the flowmaster 40 original on my V6. It does sound a bit ricey compared to the S-10 2.8L V6 i took it off of. It also got quieter after I cut the tip off when I installed shackles. It's really not that loud, especially if your truck is tall; some people are just picky i guess.

·
Registered
460 Posts
not to post jack but i got a flowmaster single in dual out "stage 2" i think they called it that has abuot 8000 miles on i might sell if sumbody is interested, came off my old truck, after a 120 muffler i decided to swap it back out but sumbody already had a borla muffler on my truck and its quiet at idle and then when i get in it, sound is near perfect.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just had a flowmaster 40 put on my tacoma last week and it sounds great. I got the performance sound I wanted without the ricey sound. Yeah, it's a little loud, but it sounds good to me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got the 40 series and don't think it's either that loud or ricey, sure it makes noise when you reve it up or when your accelerating but it's nothing compared to the way my Vortec 4.3L V6 sounded with one on it...OMG that thing was AWSOME sounding, RUMBLED!!! you could swear it was a V8 if you only heard it and didn't see the vehical...Had the flowmaster on a 2.8 L chevy V-6 and in my openion sounded tons better than it does on my taco...i don't know what it is but the yota V6 just doesn't have near the throaty sound that chevy's have..we'll see what happens when i throw some headers on there, hopefully it'll make it sound better. So IMO i don't know if 40 or 50 series is goign to make that much of a difference on the a yota engine, get out and listen to some if you can, it's the only way to compare.

·
Banned
598 Posts
i'd opt for a Spintech or Magnaflow before going with a Flowmaster. you can keep your exhaust quiet by installing a pre-muffler, like a Thrush glasspack. technically you would then have 2 mufflers (single exhaust), i have this on my 02 2.7L, it's wide open with little noise inside or out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had the original 40 on my 4.0 Ranger. Sounded awesome! Loved it. It was SI/DO. I'm thinking about going with the Flow Delta series this time around simply because I want it quieter in the cab this time around.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
ToyoTaco said:

I had the 40 non delta flow. From the cab it was not that loud or ricey. If you brought it to the higher RPM's then it did get a bit ricey. I did not really hear what it sounded like driving by me from the outside untill I sold the truck. I got quite a few complemnts on the sound "for a toyota".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts