TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to the local muffler shop and had a Magnaflow 14" put in place of my stock muffler, had it dumped right before the axle. I got in the truck, drove off and returned within 5 minutes and told the guy I didn't like the sound. It sounded as if I'd just poked some holes in my stock muffler. So he cut it off and welded in a Flowmaster Original 40 series in its place. Hmm, start the truck and it's still extremely quiet! $119 later I'm at home, on my back and under the truck looking at the remnants of the stock system. I see 2 HUGE ass resonators that look to be part of the OE exhaust manifold, then a few inches below is the o2 sensor, one on each side. The pipes run seperately pretty much up until just before the muffler where they then Y into one pipe. Basically what I'm asking is, what can I do to get the true sound out of the flowmaster? I'm guessing headers, but that's a pretty pricey solution to a $60 muffler.

Or, am I wrong and those two huge coffee can looking things aren't resonators?

Are THESE the cheapest headers available for my truck? If so, that sucks cuz I found a set for the 4.7 that are more than half the price, made by flowtech, which I've used before and have had no issues with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2006 Tundra
4.0L v6
Auto

·
Registered
183 Posts
A super 40 series should sound good on a 4.0 though. My friends Bravada with a 4.3 in it with a single 40 series in it sounded better then my Bronco with a 5.0 302 v8 with true duals, but a crappy brand muffler. So I think if it doesnt sound good then there is something wrong. Thats my 2 cents.

Mark

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cruznlife1 said:
resonators on a tacoma ? YOu mean the catalytic converters ??? And it's a v6, it's not gonna sound like a mustang or small block chevy
did you read? I have a tundra, not a tacoma. I'm quite aware that it won't sound like a mustang or sb chevy. It should be louder than what it is, sounds more like a cherrybomb than a flowmaster.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rainer said:
A super 40 series should sound good on a 4.0 though. My friends Bravada with a 4.3 in it with a single 40 series in it sounded better then my Bronco with a 5.0 302 v8 with true duals, but a crappy brand muffler. So I think if it doesnt sound good then there is something wrong. Thats my 2 cents.

Mark

I don't know, I'll go out tomorrow and take pics of the pieces I'm referring to and post them up. Maybe that will help give people a better idea as to what I'm talking about and might can give me a more definitive answer.

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
Those are cat's,they need to be as close to the hot exiting exhaust as possible to work more efficiently.

·
Registered
200 Posts
URD is currently working a Y pipe that ditches those two stock cats and that stupid crossover set up. They already have one for the Xrunner and it supposedly netted some impressive HP numbers. I have the Borla Catback on my 4.0 Taco and love the way it sounds. Here are a few vids of it for a comparison

Inside the truck going for a little drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0agFKEdnmQ

Outside the truck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxKue15TU

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GDOG57 said:
Those are cat's,they need to be as close to the hot exiting exhaust as possible to work more efficiently.

So the big coffee can looking things are the cats? Then what are the little things that look more like all other cats I've seen before? I've just never seen this type setup before. I was going to take pics today but it's been pouring down most all day so it may have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks to all who replied.

Oh, are the cats attached to the manifolds as they appear to be from the bottom of the truck? Haven't looked at it from the top yet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i have a 14" magna flow not to impressed with the sound and i dont find it that loud?
i went with a 14" because it was supposed to be loud anyone have any experience withe diamond plate muffler from flowmaster?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brost said:
i have a 14" magna flow not to impressed with the sound and i dont find it that loud?
i went with a 14" because it was supposed to be loud anyone have any experience withe diamond plate muffler from flowmaster?

Same deal with me.... I'd say it's quiet from the size of the cats plus that little resonator. I want that shit gone! I didn't get the flowmaster for a quiet truck. Magnaflow 14" was even quieter than the flowmaster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an 03 tacoma v6, thinking of getting flowmaster muffler, anyone have anything similar? Let me know what you got and how it sounds. Thanks

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i have the original 40 on my 3.4. If you cut it right after the muffler, your seat will rumble...

·
Registered
427 Posts
we just need that dummy o2 sensor from URD to drop the cats i believe i only have on cat on my truck i hear people talking about more then one i see only one is this all i need to trick my engine

·
Registered
427 Posts
anyone knwo about the diamond plate mufller im referring to not sur eif it is just a version of the 40 series but i cant seem to find it now

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of one cut off right after the muffler I would like to know how far after it it should be cut off. Does it need to be turned down?

·
Registered
427 Posts
mine runs roughly 8inch just to the hanger after the muffler then its dumped

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am looking at getting the extreme off road muffler from Flowmaster. Any one have one or herd anything on its sound? One question, when someone says they have a 14" muffler is it the length of the case only or the overall length?

·
Registered
97 Posts
brost said:
anyone knwo about the diamond plate mufller im referring to not sur eif it is just a version of the 40 series but i cant seem to find it now
summit racing has if under extreme off road muffler

1 - 20 of 23 Posts