TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flushed my brakes today. I used 3 (12oz) bottles for the job. I looked in my owner's manual and it did not have anything on the capacity for it. Anybody knows exactly how much is required to completely replaced the old fluid?

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
the exact amount is 38.7 oz......J/K
No specified capacity- The only way to calculate would be to measure the length & inner diameter of ALL of the hoses and tubing and calculate the volume blah...blah...blah...

***Just flush until it comes out clean- be sure to flush at all 4 corners AND the LSPV.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grillmasterp said:
the exact amount is 38.7 oz......J/K
No specified capacity- The only way to calculate would be to measure the length & inner diameter of ALL of the hoses and tubing and calculate the volume blah...blah...blah...

***Just flush until it comes out clean- be sure to flush at all 4 corners AND the LSPV.
Uh-oh, what is the LSPV. I did not do this for sure. :D

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
alex9021 said:
Uh-oh, what is the LSPV. I did not do this for sure. :D
LSPV= Load Sensing Proportioning Valve
aka- BPV or Brake Proportioning Valve

Thats the module that is located on the left frame rail above the rear axle. It is connected to the rear axle with a metal bar that senses the axle position, and adjusts the braking power from front/rear depending on vehicle stance.
Look on the back of that module, and you will see the bleeder valve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ShowStop said:
LSPV= Load Sensing Proportioning Valve
aka- BPV or Brake Proportioning Valve

Thats the module that is located on the left frame rail above the rear axle. It is connected to the rear axle with a metal bar that senses the axle position, and adjusts the braking power from front/rear depending on vehicle stance.
Look on the back of that module, and you will see the bleeder valve.
Thanks a lot! I guess I will be doing that tomorrow. I need to remember this next time ( 2 years from today) :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
grillmasterp said:
I didn't bleed the LSPV either, didn't realize there was a fitting there. In what order would you bleed that fitting, after the rears and before the right front?

Thanks, Ken

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
I didn't bleed the LSPV either, didn't realize there was a fitting there. In what order would you bleed that fitting, after the rears and before the right front?

Thanks, Ken
I do the LSPV last

R.Pass, R. Driver, F. Pass, Fr. Driver, LSPV

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another to remember is that when you are flushing the lines i like to go ahead and just empty the resevior as much as possible without getting air in the line then start adding the new good fluid. This way you get the clean stuff in there much faster.

just a personal preference on that one.

·
Registered
269 Posts
jjrambo said:
Another to remember is that when you are flushing the lines i like to go ahead and just empty the resevior as much as possible without getting air in the line then start adding the new good fluid. This way you get the clean stuff in there much faster.

just a personal preference on that one.
Yeah I do the same. I just get a free syringe from the pharmacy at Walgreens to suck out most of the old stuff.

·
Registered
77 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
Yeah I do the same. I just get a free syringe from the pharmacy at Walgreens to suck out most of the old stuff.
Well that's a pretty slick way to do it. good thinking there.

So what do all those other syringes get used for????? hmmmmm???

I'm to lazy to bother to pick one up while i'm at work. So I just open the bleeder put the drain tube into bottle and pump the brake for a little while. works pretty quite well for me.

Those one man brake bleeder kits that you can get at pretty much any auto place for like 5-8 bucks or something like that. They are definately worth the money for those. They come with different size peices to fit into the bleeder valve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jjrambo said:
Well that's a pretty slick way to do it. good thinking there.

So what do all those other syringes get used for????? hmmmmm???

I'm to lazy to bother to pick one up while i'm at work. So I just open the bleeder put the drain tube into bottle and pump the brake for a little while. works pretty quite well for me.

Those one man brake bleeder kits that you can get at pretty much any auto place for like 5-8 bucks or something like that. They are definately worth the money for those. They come with different size peices to fit into the bleeder valve.

This is what I used: http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=46&cid=8
It works as advertised.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
how often should you flush your brakes?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Super Doody said:
how often should you flush your brakes?
Every 2 years. The brake fluid tend to absorb water from the air. If you let it stay in your system for too long, the moisture will corrode your system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Norcalvp said:
http://www.motiveproducts.com/

This little thing is well worth the $50. i have used mine quite a bit, and it works like a champ every time.
Just don't forget to flush the container with new brake fluid before you used it. The residual brake fluid from the last time you used it are contaminated with moisture. You don't want it going into your brake system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
txtaco1
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing