TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used those coolant flushing machines from the dealer? Is it better than using prestone cooling system flush in a bottle? Thanks.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Has anyone used those coolant flushing machines from the dealer? Is it better than using prestone cooling system flush in a bottle? Thanks.
The stuff in the bottle is chemical based and just for the radiator-
The flush from the dealer is suppose to back flush the engine block & radiator

I would have the dealer perform the flush over the bottle stuff.

Personally, I believe in simple frequent drain & refills.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grillmasterp said:
The stuff in the bottle is chemical based and just for the radiator-
The flush from the dealer is suppose to back flush the engine block & radiator

I would have the dealer perform the flush over the bottle stuff.

Personally, I believe in simple frequent drain & refills.
Awesome thanks for the advise. My 40K is comming up soon and ill do it then. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
yeah if you do the proper maintainance there should be no reason to need a flush, I change my antifreeze out every two or three years. By doing this the anti-corrosives in it prevent any of the scaling that would need flushed out. I rinse the old stuff out by draining, then filling with distilled water, run till warmed up then drain again. I do this about three times (or until the fluid i am draining is no longer red). Once clear refill it with the 5 quarts (or whatever the manual says is 50% of the coolant capacity) of antifreeze and top off with distilled water. Wait a day check the percentage with a hydrometer and top off with coolant or water as needed.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
You don't need a machine. It really does not do anything other then speed things up.

What you should do it use professional chemicals. Pro stuff is much stronger then the store bought stuff and works much better. I use the BG Products line and find their stuff second to none. The cooling system flush chemical is two parts. One you put in and run for a while then drain out. Then I fill back up with distilled water and run it to rinse everything, then drain and refill with fresh Toyota Red coolant and distilled water. The second part of the BG kit gets put in on your final fill.

You will be amazed at how clean my cooling systems are. This is the way to go and you don't need to pay someone to do it for you.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
cooling system

Gadget said:
You don't need a machine. It really does not do anything other then speed things up.

What you should do it use professional chemicals. Pro stuff is much stronger then the store bought stuff and works much better. I use the BG Products line and find their stuff second to none. The cooling system flush chemical is two parts. One you put in and run for a while then drain out. Then I fill back up with distilled water and run it to rinse everything, then drain and refill with fresh Toyota Red coolant and distilled water. The second part of the BG kit gets put in on your final fill.

You will be amazed at how clean my cooling systems are. This is the way to go and you don't need to pay someone to do it for you.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
hey gadget,
where do you get these professional chemicals? All I can ever find is the Prestone crap. THanx, Wes

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Gadget said:

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
I have a different take on it, but then again I don't know this BG stuff.

Reading the instructions (and warnings) on all the chemical cleaners I have seen, it becomes apparent that these are extremely corrosive substances. My opinion is to not use them unless you actually have a reason to, and then stronger may not be better.

Again, I have not seen the BG stuff you use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im about to change my coolant for the first time, from what ive read the 04 3.4l manual takes a little over 2.5 gallons. Guess this means i gotta buy two jugs of the toyota coolant @ $25 / gallon? sucks.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
k47k said:
Im about to change my coolant for the first time, from what ive read the 04 3.4l manual takes a little over 2.5 gallons. Guess this means i gotta buy two jugs of the toyota coolant @ $25 / gallon? sucks.
I bought my last 2 gallons of the stright red stuff for $10.99 /gal- That will provide enough to make 4 gals of 50/50 mix-

~I recently noticed that Toyota also sells premixed 50/50 - Not sure how much they jack up the price for that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been putting off doing a coolant flush because I don't want to mess around with disposing of the used coolant. What do you all do with the stuff- take it to get recycled or something?

·
Registered
36 Posts
ill be taking the old to Autozone or similar auto supply store. In NY i believe they are required by law to accept used oil / fluids free of charge.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
camaddy said:
I've been putting off doing a coolant flush because I don't want to mess around with disposing of the used coolant. What do you all do with the stuff- take it to get recycled or something?
Many of the places that accept motor oil don't accept coolant
Often Sam's club & Walmart are listed check here:
http://www.earth911.org/master.asp

·
Registered
264 Posts
camaddy said:
If you are on city sewer you can dump it down the drain (NOT the storm sewer.) If you have a septic tank don't put it down your drain.

From http://www.epa.gov/grtlakes/seahome/housewaste/house/antifrze.htm

Disposal: The major components of antifreeze can be broken down by organisms in a sewage treatment plant. If your home is connected to a sanitary or municipal sewer system, household quantities of antifreeze can be flushed down the drain with plenty of water. The solution is not so easy for those homes with a septic tank because antifreeze can overwhelm the organisms in your septic system, causing damage to the system. If your wastewater goes into a septic tank, very small amounts over a period of time can be flushed with plenty of water. Better yet, ask a friend, relative, or neighbor who is hooked up to the sanitary sewer system to use their drain to dispose of your household quantity of used antifreeze. Do not pour antifreeze into storm sewer openings, sinkholes, or abandoned wells where they will directly pollute the water.​

1 - 15 of 15 Posts