TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a clutch swap is in my near future, can anyone recommend a shop in Austin to resurface the flywheel? I'm in N. Austin but will travel for good service. Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Austin Machine Shop on the corner of Manchaca and Lamar has done good work for me with a quick turn around and good price. They were recommended to me by my old performance shop. They resurfaced the stock flywheel for a friend's 300+ HP Miata when we had to throw it in to get it running again after he chewed the aftermarket one up. I think he is still running with that flywheel with no issues or vibrations, a year or so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I thought that shop closed a while back, I remember there was talks of that corner lot being bought by some corporation. Guess it's been a while since I've been on that stretch of Lamar. I'll go there unless I can find someone reputable up north. I've used them a handful of times and they always did good work. Thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
A review on the googler says they relocated to Burleson and 71 next to McDonalds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figures, probably going to be another one of those apartments with the stores on the 1st floor, like the rest of Austin. Bleh.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nah that's an industrial spot. I'll roll by there when I get home. Its only a few miles from my place.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm hoping it's not the clutch, but I figure I might as well get prepared, just incase.

Yesterday on my way home from work at the last stoplight before my neighborhood I put the truck in 1st and the idle started to stumble so I put it back in neutral. When I put it back in 1st at the green light, it was tough to get into gear. The other gear changes seem fine, it will not slip in any gear, no leaks, no noises. Saw the fluid level was barely low in the clutch master cyl so I pumped it out, and flushed in new fluid, then bled the system last night. Took it for a spin this morning and all feels fine, but I'm not taking any chances with 170k miles. I just ordered master cylinder and slave cylinder rebuild kits, and I'm going to order a new Aisin clutch tomorrow so I don't have to wait on it if I need it asap. I might make a junkyard run and find a stock flywheel to get machined and have as a spare as well. Atleast I'll be ready when the inevitable happens.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Inland Truck Parts up north resurfaces flywheels I've used them several times. Quick turnaround as well. 512-454-1488. Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, I havent used those guys since they were Austin Drive Train. They did a clutch swap on my old '96 F250 4x4 after I killed it while retrieving a stuck forklift. Would have done it myself but the company that owned the forklift covered it. I didn't know they resurfaced flywheels, good to know, especially since its on my way home from work. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts