TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ARB bumper and don't like the position of the turn signals, that you can't really see them from the side of the vehicle. So I plan on doing the blinker relocation mod and put the turn signal in the corner lights.

My question is has anyone found a light either fog or driving light that fits in there? The turn signal measures about 5.25" wide by 1.5" high. I have found two lights that will fit. One light is a little bit smaller, the APC Driving Lights Rectangle 4.5" x 1.5" Clear 5115 Remote Series seen here... http://www.trucknvans.com/APC_Driving_Lights_Rectangle_4_5_x_1_5_Clear_p/505115cr.htm
The other light is closer in size, the Pilot NV504W Cyber White Driving Lights-Squared Rectangle-5"W* 1 1/2"H* 2 3/4"D, Indigo Lens/HID White Beam seen here... http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-NV504W-Driving-Lights-Squared-Rectangle-5/dp/B00029X3TE/sr=8-17/qid=1164952914/ref=sr_1_17/103-4164561-2672661?ie=UTF8&s=automotive

I don't like the second one because it's got a blue lense. The other is just a little too small. Of course I'm asking for a perfect fit, but perhaps that is just too much to ask. Realisticly the APC light might be best for what I want and I might just go with that. I really don't like the lens of the Pilot lights.

Any other suggestions or comments? My biggest worry is that the lights themselves are true to thier specifications and wont fit. The way the bumper is designed the lights mounted flush are slightly angled away from the center of the truck. This would be perfect for offroading. They would be aimed more towards the ground, but might make a nice fog light, assuming it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic due to the angle of the light/bumper. Obviously I'd have to make a custyom bracket to mount them, no big deal.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing on mine. Cept I high clearanced the stock bumper years ago and moved the blinkers when I did that. Currently, my turn signals are just hanging there. (My ARB came off of another members taco).

one option might be to make the hole bigger and weld on some new tabs for mounting the lights. Not terribly difficult, but you'd have to find something to fill the space that is there now. but it was kinda what I was thinking. But maybe with some round lights you could aim them a bit better. Of course there are already a bunch of holes to mount offroad lights on the bumper itself..

Let me know what you come up with.. I might just end up copying it.. hehehe

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to make any modifications to the bumper itself, other then mounting tabs. I like the look of the ARB and want to keep it clean looking. I dont think my fab skills would be able to produce a nice round hole. However if anyone has any suggestions or had modded thier own bumper as such, I'd certainly like to see pics and might be willing to try. How would you go about cutting a 6" hole for 6" round fog lights

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
you could try a hole saw for the fog lights, but a hole saw that big would be kind of spendy. I would try you local fab shops. they might be able to do it pretty reasonably. Since you are at Pendleton, talk to one of the guys in the motor pool--maybe one of them is good with a torch and clean it up with a die grinder and it may only cost a case of beer or something. When I was in alaska, those guys would be willing to help out all the time if you were willing to help change a track on a SUSV or whatever..
I would consider going with a 4" fog light though- IMO a 6" hole on each side might weaken the structure a little...just a thought

like Mike Wood above said, post a pic when you come up with something, am curious how it comes out...have fun

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, as posted above the hole is already 1.5" by 5.25", so in order to make a clean round hole you would have to make the hole atleast 5.25" in diameter. Yeah a 6" hole would be pretty big, but I don't think it would weaken the bumper integrity too much.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, the hole doesn't have to be round. I could enlarge the rectangular hole that already exists say to 5.25" by 3" or something to the effect of the size to fit a light I found. However that still requires modifying it. Back to my original idea, I'd just like to find a light that would fit. So far that 4.5" by 1.5" APC light seems like my best bet.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Working on the same thing. Looking to see how big a light I could fit in that area, hopefully a fog since I have Lightforce 170's on the upper bumper mount (in front of my grille) and would like something for inclement weather and not blind people with pencil beam/spots. :saw:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Actually saw these and may see how they would fit with notching a small hole in the bumper where the turnsignals are currently and maybe putting in a LED turnsignal depending if there's extra width in the whole near where I'd put these to avoid having to totally relocate the turnsignals.

http://www.4by4connection.com/hellamicroff.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
i also have an arb front bumper and i would not recomend that you cut a 6 inch hole out of it. You will ruin the structural integrity of the bumper. they start life as one piece of flat sheet metal and rely on the forming and pressing for strength. just my opinion though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i also have an arb front bumper and i would not recomend that you cut a 6 inch hole out of it. You will ruin the structural integrity of the bumper. they start life as one piece of flat sheet metal and rely on the forming and pressing for strength. just my opinion though.
back out of the dead...

I didn't cut into my bumper and instead went with a set of lights similar to the ones I posted above, but found at walmart.

Here's the link to the write-up

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59253

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
tacomausmc
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing