TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who uses thier fog lights as aux lights (or just wants brighter lights) A 9005 bulb fits into the stock 9145 fog light housing and plug. The 9005 is 60-65 watts and 9145 is 43 watts. Not sure if there is enough extra heat to melt the housing. Just letting you know.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good info to know. :)
DiD you install them?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not install them. I was loolking around the local auto store and could not find a spare with the same numbers, so i looked arund the garage to see if any of the old ones i had would fit.

·
Registered
661 Posts
AS you dicovered this find, I belive it's your TTORA duty to try them out and report back to us. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I do, will we get a TTORA Canada chapter?:D

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have no authority on this board to say weather or not that will happen.
on that note, SURE!
Canada can be its own chapter.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might go pop them in now to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you have a thermometer, see if there is much of a difference in temp. Or just stick your hand on the lens and see which one hurts/burns more. :confused:

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
AS you dicovered this find, I belive it's your TTORA duty to try them out and report back to us. :D
Yes, you must do the following:

Provide the exact date, time, location, and reason you discovered this. Take pics.

Provide step by step instructions regarding removal of the old bulbs and the install of the new bulbs. Take pics.

Note the difference in temperature and luminescence. Take pics.

Provide the names of stores that supply 9005 bulbs, and the prices they sell them for. you may list in alphabetical order or lowest to highest cost. Take pics.

Drive with both sets of bulbs during darkness approx 500 hours each. Record noticed differences in luminance and eye fatigue. Also, the reactions of on coming drivers, ie being flashed by their high beams. Take pics.

Contact DOT and get there input regarding legality of this mod. Take pics.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I belive you must also run a before and after dyno run. Then, get a before and after RTI score. After all is well and said mod is deemed acceptable, stickers must be made and applied to vehicles with this mod.

After installing the new bulbs, be sure to get an alignment.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Easy solution to above posts..............INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
careful I installed halogens in 00' and they almost melted the clear lens!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got an IR thermometer so I'll put a stock bulb and a 9006 bulb in and post the numbers. (eventually)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good idea! Even better than the burn your hand method. :)
Did you notice any more light out put? Higher temps? You may want to leave the lights on for a couple of min. to make sure you are getting an accurate temp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts