TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to use my fog lights with the truck off and figured this would be the easiest way to wire them.

They are piaa 510 35w and run at 3 amps each x4 = 12 amp

My stereo is a single amp running at 42 amps

The fuse for my stereo is rated at 100 amps

Im no electrician but I think this will work? I shouldnt blow the fuse and the lights will work anytime?

here is a diagram i made

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/deanwillthiswork.png/

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
It would work but at a decrease in performance, due to you have your lights running in parallel with stereo. I am not an electrician, but I have done my share fare of good and bad installs on my vehicles... over the decades. :)

There are reasons why when you see stereo installers make custom aftermarket systems, everything has a dedicated fuse and power-source off the main.
The good ones know electronics and know how to calculate the resistance, power, wire size, to ensure each component get's the max performance the maker wants it to do.

Plus the switch can it take the wattage that is going to power all 4 lights....if not, you will be having one hot switch and most likely a fire.
Another reason companies supply two lights for every one switch (most of the time).
One last note, how good is your battery and how big is your stereo system.
With your setup, you may want to consider dual battery system

If I was you, I would spend the time to use an aftermarket power/fuse box that will handle what you are asking your electrical system to do.
Look at Blue Sea or Bussman for the fuses.
The one I use is the simple Bussman for the fuses, currently not covered from the elements and mounted on my firewall in the engine compartment.
Power is all individual off the battery, I have spider web of wires off the positive post..... I plan to have a power bar to clean up the underside.
Then the relays I have (2 lights, 1 air compressor) are mounted at different locations.

For my future I will have relays for a winch and more lights. For this I have in the ready (in my storage cabinet) a Blue Sea fuse box and a two gang boxes for the relays and power distribution.

Check out the garage section to see other member's installs for their electrical systems.

·
Registered
223 Posts
do a little research on relay's, if you ran your wires strait from the battery to a relay to power your lights. then from your switch wired like you have it in your diagram to the relay it wouldent take much away from your stereo and the proformance of your lights would improve. still work with key off. larger wire = less resistance = less heat.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
do a little research on relay's, if you ran your wires strait from the battery to a relay to power your lights. then from your switch wired like you have it in your diagram to the relay it wouldn't take much away from your stereo and the performance of your lights would improve. still work with key off. larger wire = less resistance = less heat.
x2 a much better option.

question for the OP, however...why 4 35w fogs? 2 100w will put out a hell of a lot more light then what you propose. heck, even 2 55s would be a better idea.
or...convert them to HID :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Piaa ended up taking the lights back and sending me brand new ones
Piaa is a hell of a company to deal with.
I went with 4 lights because the bumper has four 4" light holes. I also needed something street legal.
The weather where I work in northern Alberta can be discusting and I wanted lights i can run on the street in poor weather conditions.

I'll post some pics of the truck this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts