TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just got laid off today and I have to get rid of stuff to get by so the sailboat has got to go. I really hate to sell this boat since I had big plans for it. I really love this boat and it has a lot of potential. I purchased it from Benson back in December and cleaned it up a good bit. I haven't put any work into it yet and was planning to give it a paint job and new rigging but obviously I can't do that now.

I'm asking for $500 for the boat and trailer. It includes the sail and the rudder. It has some spider cracks in the fiberglass decking but it does not affect the sailing performance. I have yet to sail it since it's finally warm enough now. Benson reinforced the transom to hold up to a decent sized gas motor. I believe he used a 5 HP engine and he said it hauls ass with a bunch of people in it. It rated to hold 6 people and is 18 foot long. I do not have any registration on the boat. But all you need is a Bill of Sale to 'transfer' the title to your name. You will have to register the boat at Wal-Mart or any boating store as a boat that hasn't been registered and it's only $30 for the paperwork. I will be more than happy to help you with anything you need to know about this boat and would love to see it go to someone that will fix it up and use it as much as I wanted to.

Also if anyone knows of a punchout or computer IT job opening, please please let me know so I can get another job as soon as I can. If I'm unemployed for too long, I'll lose the house and everything else which would suck major balls. Thanks

Daniel T.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
oops double post... drinking some whiskey to drown my sorrows.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Why don't you try HH-Greg or geek squad granted it isnt the most lavish but at least a job..I'll ask around for you though good luck with it all buddy!
heres a bump:)haha

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip, what is HH-Greg? I don't think I've heard of them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It is like Hifi buys but..differnt.
They sell things like TV's Appliances Computers fix things(i do believe like electronics...) Mattress's(sp?)I was going to work there this summer but do to my hectic schedule I opted to be fair and tell them I didn't want to put them through the hassle of asking for time off and all..
But its like a Circut City type deal
H and H gregg
www.hhgregg.com
I asked my dad (he works for NEC) he said he wish he could help but hasn't heard of much..he will ask he said tho..

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Man you really cleaned that thing up!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I was going to paint it metallic gray. It really looks good cleaned up but the trees and the birds are hell-bent on getting their crap all over it. :) The paint is oxidized a little but it'll look good if you use a buffer. :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The day I buffed it it came out great. That sucks you have to sell it. Try craigslist my friend.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I considered using Craigslist but I wanted to give ya'll a shot at getting this sailboat before any of the Craiglist people get a whiff of it. I just want to keep it in the 'family', if you know what I mean. :)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

there is one by the amc 24 theaters on barret parkway. just go down the road that takes you straight to the theater its on the left hand side.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Daniel.. Send me your resume and I'll get it to my boss.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is not my boat but it shows you how good it looks when it's cleaned up and trimmed out. I was going to go this route and put in smoked lexan glass along with deckplates like this fellow here. Just showing the potential of this boat.It won't cost much to get it looking like this boat here since all you need is 4 deckplates, smoked lexan glass from Home Depot, and some screws.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just PM'd you, Kyle. Thanks, any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Does this boat have it's Jib and Spinaker sails too, or just the main sail? Do the self bailers work or leak. I had several sailboats back in the homeland and won SA Junior sailing championships at age 14, so I know my way around these. Would love to get my child exposed to it too, so that's why I'm considering it. PM me if you would with additional info you prefer to keep private.

Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It got the jib and spinaker sails. I'm not certain with the bailers since I haven't put it in the water. But from my understanding it's seaworthy. I was looking over the boat today and forgot to mention that one of the mainstay cables are frayed and the other one is snapped from a sailing trip when Benson had it. :D The culprit from the mainstay failure is due to the missing mast block that wedges the mast straight and reinforces from flopping around too much. The boat is missing the block and it can easily be cut out from a block of wood. I went to West Marine to see if they had the parts to repair the mainstay but the sales person referred me to a parts warehouse in CA. Rather than trying to run around getting parts number and the correct length and so on, I was going to replace it and fabricate the mainstay myself. But I will not be able to get around to that now. You can get the cable from Home Depot or any place that sells cable and fit the ends on yourself or loop them around to make a latch. This boat is in no way perfect but nothing is hard nor expensive to repair. I would daresay that about $100 would get this baby in a good sailing condition. I looked at the cables and fittings and it would set you back about $20-30, the two deck plates would be about $40, the lexan plexiglass would be about $20 or you can use anything else to cover the two hatches, and a few small cleats would be about $5. I can't think of anything else... I'll look around on the boat to see anything else that I can add.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Boat is very sea worthy. And the drainers work well once you get the boat moving. They like to get leaves in them and junk up.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks for the additional info - sounds very inviting. Let me think about it for a couple of days and I'll let you know what I would like to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My best friend is lead Architect for Cbeyond Communications off 75 I'll see if he has anything.. I know he was looking for some guys

1 - 20 of 22 Posts