TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey neighbors, hope this works (and is the right place). Good quote, hope everyone is safe and warm.

Weather Bulletin - Denver

Up here, in the "Mile-Hi City", we just recovered from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes be cause up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this
early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to some of us.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Bwah, REPOST from the NB but I still like it. Its been called BS and misinformation but I still like it! It definately did not come close to the catstrophe 'Nawlins turned into and still is. At the least the CO peeps were better prepared to care for themselves through a storm like that and have the sense that no one is to blame not even Mother Nature.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops, sorry for the repost folks. I just found it in today's local news brief, and don't waste time in the NB "other" section. Still refreshing though.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
KSDblcab, you make me sick, comparing the snowstorm to Katrina. Why don't you crawl up your own ass and die.
And I don't believe that fairy tale crap about how neighborly everybody was afterwards. The news announced a 5 hour wait for towtrucks, and a $200-300 service charge the day after the storm. Hundreds of cars stranded in the snow on the side of our highways and roads were broken into and looted.
Get lost buddy.

·
Registered
965 Posts
but if the snow was made out of oil they would have

·
Registered
109 Posts
spindleshanks said:
KSDblcab, you make me sick, comparing the snowstorm to Katrina. Why don't you crawl up your own ass and die.
And I don't believe that fairy tale crap about how neighborly everybody was afterwards. The news announced a 5 hour wait for towtrucks, and a $200-300 service charge the day after the storm. Hundreds of cars stranded in the snow on the side of our highways and roads were broken into and looted.
Get lost buddy.

The Denver hotels weren't very neighborly either jumping the price up to 150bucks for a normal room! My wife and I were stuck at the airport for 3 days so figured it was still worth it for one of the nights.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spindleshanks said:
KSDblcab, you make me sick, comparing the snowstorm to Katrina.
I didn't Mr. GED. It was a quote from a newsletter, so I posted it here to see what you wonderful colorado people thought. Didn't mean to distract you from your middle school reading assignment. Thanks for the laugh

PS, Western Kansas received the same amounts, with similar results. But there wasn't the crime aspect that seems rampant in colorado. I also family in Louisiana who got a chuckle from the brief.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll have to admit that I have seen worse blizzards in rural Illinois in the late 70's than what Denver received recently. I remember bulldozers running over the snow drifts in areas after the drifting subsided, while attempting to break through them. I am sure there are many other rural stories about bad weather that never reach the headlines.

However, with the size of the Denver Metroplex now and number of drivers without any heavy snow driving experience, these issues were bound to happen. Many people here come from states that do not have snow or they come from other parts of the world that also have no or little snow. Some believe that any front wheel drive vehicle can "go anywhere" in the snow. Some believe that their H2s can go anywhere, pull anything out and go as fast as possible in these conditions. A little bad judgement, either way. :(

Employers could have listened more closely to the weather reports and allowed workers to stay home or dismiss the employees from work hours earlier that morning. But we all know what comes first, right? $$$

I believe the weather channel is also a little flamboyant in their reporting. It seems more like drama than good old weather reporting. :flamethro

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
KSdblcab said:
I didn't Mr. GED. It was a quote from a newsletter, so I posted it here to see what you wonderful colorado people thought. Didn't mean to distract you from your middle school reading assignment. Thanks for the laugh
PS, Western Kansas received the same amounts, with similar results. But there wasn't the crime aspect that seems rampant in colorado. I also family in Louisiana who got a chuckle from the brief.
Sorry buddy, but it was in bad taste, whether you wrote it or not. Thanks, though for polluting the Colorado board with it-sometimes we in Colorado need to be reminded why we reside here instead of in droll, monotonous flatland states like yours.
And don't give me that crap about Kansas not having the crime aspect. Just because you didn't see any crime in your little microcosm doesn't mean it didn't happen.
The first thing I saw when googling Kansas/snow was an article about power going out all over Kansas during the storm. Funny, that didn't happen here!
P.S. Your derogation of my intelligence is laughable in itself, friend: P.S. is supposed to be punctuated, dingus.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Well at least there's one literate person in CO. :flipoff4:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yup, theres one!
I done got learneded good, I do reckon, over yonder in Pueblo.
I talks like a king or a presudent or sumpin'.
"Hey Moe, lookey that there pointy-haired girl! huh huh!"

All humor aside, I don't mean to brag, but Ft. Collins was just rated the 2nd most educated city in the country, based on the ratio of the population that holds bachelor's degrees. That may be a random criteria, but if it's not, the rest of the country has some explaining to do, because Boulder made #1, bitches! How you lika me now! Ft. Collins is also in the top 5 preferred cities to live in according to Fortune....ahhhh, it feels good!

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Just tryin to add some humor to a thread not taken humorously. :D

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
spindleshanks said:
All humor aside, I don't mean to brag, but Ft. Collins was just rated the 2nd most educated city in the country, based on the ratio of the population that holds bachelor's degrees. That may be a random criteria, but if it's not, the rest of the country has some explaining to do, because Boulder made #1, bitches! How you lika me now! Ft. Collins is also in the top 5 preferred cities to live in according to Fortune....ahhhh, it feels good!

Damn, i didnt know hippies were that smart:D

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
LOL we were without power on Friday night for about six hours. Cannot explain why though. I suspect some poor bah'stard slid into one of the transformers and knocked out a whole section of our neighborhood.

I fired up the kerosene heater I keep for just such a situation, dug the propane lantern out of the camping gear and the group of us played euchre and had a few beers. Good times.

I hope we get storms every week from here on out through March. Maybe all those slacker californians will MOVE to TX or something.

GAWD I love my Tacoma...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm in Dallas right now, and Texas is in the midst of an ice storm...people are freaking out, the news channels are all about the ice all the time, schools are closed, it's insane! I'd rather be in Denver, for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts