TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be some confusion, frustration, and even anger caused by our recent switch to a new message board. I think many of the frequently asked questions have been covered in several different threads, but I wanted to put them all in one place to help people understand why the message board was moved.

Q: Why was the message board moved away from Delphi without asking me? It’s not fair!

A: All of the Delphi national board moderators and all the chapter presidents were involved in the decision. We all agreed that it would be to our benefit to move away from Delphi to our own message board. It wasn’t just some random decision made on a whim.

Q: Why wasn't there any warning? You guys just pulled the rug out from under us.

A: How much warning did you want? A week? A month? Three months? Think about it, how much arguing, flaming, and other drama would escalate the entire time? I think it would have been a very negative experience and would have hindered the development of this new message board.

Q: vBulletin sucks. I hate it and I can’t figure it out. Why did we have to use vBulletin?

A: Sucks is an opinion, and you are entitled to yours. vBulletin gives us much more flexibility and control over the message board. There are several advanced features, and many more administration options. VBulletin is used successfully by many very large message boards. If you are having trouble learning the new features, there is a tutorials folder with several friendly people to help you figure out the new format.

Q: I can’t find messages ‘to me’? Delphi let me post messages to people?

A: Yes, that was a nice feature of Delphi, but it also led to massive amounts of random chit-chat, post whoring, and thread hi-jacking. vBulletin is a much more professional format that makes it much easier to organize information and keep threads on track. If you want to send a message to a specific user, you can send them a private message. If you are having a ‘conversation’ with someone in a message thread simply quote a portion of the message you are replying to, and it will become obvious who is talking to who.

Q: Why can’t I have a sig pic? I used to be able to with Delphi.

A: Huge sig pics with massive amounts of text and scrolling stuff annoyed many users. We are all proud of our trucks and want to share, you can still have signatures. Simply set up a web page with info about your truck and put a link in your signature. You can also upload a picture to the member’s rigs section, list all your mods, and then put a link to that in your signature. It’s cool to be able to check out everyone’s rigs, just not hundreds of times a day attached to every message.

Q: I just paid Delphi for a year and then you guys switched to this message board!

A: Some Delphi users have been able to get refunds. Email member services. If you don’t get a refund, it’s not the end of the world. This board is free!

Q: I think Shannon switched the message board so he could make lots of money. That’s not fair.

A: Do you know the specifics of Shannon’s finances? Do you know how much servers and bandwidth cost for a large website? And what if he is making some money? Since when is it wrong to make money? Delphi is making money! Anyway, the message board belongs to Shannon, it’s his club, and it’s nobody’s business. Besides, why are you complaining, you don’t have to pay to use it! Shannon donates a chunk of money to the Blue Ribbon Coalition EVERY MONTH! What has Delphi done for us?

Q: A nazi moderator deleted my avatar. You guys suck.

A: Was your avatar work safe? We don’t want people fired for browsing the message board at work. Same goes for pictures attached to posts. Please read the forum posting rules.

Q: I have been part of the club for more than five years and now I am a noob again! It’s not fair! You guys should transfer the post counts from Delphi.

A: It would be very difficult to automate that procedure, and nobody has the time to do it manually. Consider this a fresh start, a new beginning. Anyone who spends any amount of time here will discover who the vets are and who the noobs are. The world does not revolve around your post count.

Q: I have been post whoring for three days in the off-topic section and my post count isn’t going up? WTF?

A: It was decided that only posts in the technical sections would count towards people’s total post count. This prevents people from inflating their post count with thousands of meaningless messages.

Q: I don’t think this board can handle the load. It’s going to crash just like last time.

A: And Delphi never broke? I seem to recall a recent Delphi outage that lasted for three days for some boards. I work in a data center, and know first hand that anything and everything can and will eventually break. Hard drives don’t last forever, service providers have outages, etc. The important thing to consider is the response time and quick repairs. With Delphi that was all entirely out of our control.

I think our new message board is a positive thing. When I announced it to my NorCal chapter I received several emails from people who are enthusiastic about the change and will participate now because they never liked Delphi’s format. I know there will always be a few people who will never appreciate this new message board, I just hope they will still participate in their TTORA chapter, after all, the club is based on getting out and four-wheeling!

I will add other questions and answers here as they come up.

Later,

….Mike

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Icepuck72 said:
So, how come we switched again? :bitchslap
Apparently to cause massive amounts of disruption to people's lives. I think a few members may have committed suicide because of the change. Others are still rolling on the floor kicking and screaming and having a temper tantrum. That was Shannon's only intention, to make everyone upset. LOL!

Later,
....Mike

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
I feel I wasn't disrupted enough. I am a level 6 of disruption and I feel I should be at least a disruption level of 9.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ok, i do have a legitimate bitch. What is up with the resolution of this board. It is so narrow that I go cross eyed trying to read it. Is there any way to widen the viewing area?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BadBradHaz said:
Ok, i do have a legitimate bitch. What is up with the resolution of this board. It is so narrow that I go cross eyed trying to read it. Is there any way to widen the viewing area?
The web designer based it on a 800x600 resolution. I agree that it should be able to be adjusted to whatever resolution a person wants. I am looking at it in 800x600 right now, but I may be looking at it with a much higher resolution on a different PC.

Thank you for constructive criticism.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mike said:
Apparently to cause massive amounts of disruption to people's lives. I think a few members may have committed suicide because of the change. Others are still rolling on the floor kicking and screaming and having a temper tantrum. That was Shannon's only intention, to make everyone upset. LOL!

Later,
....Mike
I screamed for a little bit but then I found my meds..... :D

·
www.madmav.com
547 Posts
The width of this forum was chosen mainly for a readability issue. Not only am i concerned about 800x600 and horizontal scrolling, but controlling the text columns so they can always stay within an ease of reading. Longer strings of text become hard to read and follow when a huge paragraph is inserted.

In higher resolutions, 1600x1200 in my case it gets stretched so far it comes un-bearable. Although 1600x1200 numbers pale in comparison to the majority, which is 800x600 (slowly moving up) I felt this is a even compromise for everyone across the board.

More importantly, it stays within my design. Going any wider width in the forums means it will break the boundaries and stretch farther then the header.

Redesigning the whole site to be fluid (meaning it can stretch) is out of the question. I’m doing this design work for free, and I would like to keep it as nice as possible so It can retain in my portfolio. I think its the least I can ask for spending so much time on it.

Unfortunately I cannot please every single person. I have to keep in mind anyone who might come to the site, any and all browsers, and staying within my design.

For the time being, I would like to keep it how it is, I personally think it looks alot better, since I did a test run with it fluid at the beginning. But all your concerns are noted and defiantly taken into consideration. I might just forgo and recognition for a good design work to please the majority. :)

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Can't we all just get over it and move on....?

For all the complaining (and legitimate constructive criticism) that has been going on, I think it might help for everyone to understand that this board/site was primarily constructed and is being primarily run by a single member. Chris Gray has put a lot of his own personal time, effort and expense into this forum. Although he is pretty thick skinned as successful designers are, the time has come to stop all this nonsense.

If TTORA was a club, we'd be paying dues. IMO, it is correctly named as an 'Association'- a place to come & exchange ideas & information. The internet friendships & playful nature of the boards are what helps tie folks to the Association, but it is not TTORA. TTORA is the people you know, you wrench with & you wheel with.

I wish people would stop making this whole issue more than it is. It was a difficult transition for many (myself included), but sticking with it & persevering is the easiest way to adapt to the format. TTORA means enough to me that I am willing to invest in learning, but my point is that TTORA isn't here- it's in your own backyard.

Let's give Shannon, Chris, Mike and everyone else involved a break. Let's talk about anything but this board for just a day or two... except for the Tutorial Folder (which is excellent by the way).

All these threads floating around make me miss the ignore button, but I have gotten over that as well. Considering that we've paid nothing to contribute to this, we should be thankful we've got such a versatile, professionally run site with members taking accountability for it's performance and reliability.

:clap:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Maverick said:
I think its the least I can ask for spending so much time on it.
Thank you for spending so much time getting the site and the forums going and looking great. Those that bitch probably don't realise how big of an undertaking it is to create a site of this nature, with such a large user base. Keep up the good work.

·
www.madmav.com
547 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Thank you for spending so much time getting the site and the forums going and looking great. Those that bitch probably don't realise how big of an undertaking it is to create a site of this nature, with such a large user base. Keep up the good work.
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Who says you can't have a sig?

Thanks Mike. When I'm on my death bed being kept alive by a machine I'd be honored if you would come in and pull the plug.

I was going to put the pic back in, but that would be juvenile. :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Personally I like the vBulletin software. I've gotten used to it over on p4x4 and like it a lot in comparison with the other BBS software out there.

The only issue that I have with the new forum revolves around the "Other TTORA Forums" drop down under the banner ad at the top of the page. Any time my cursor goes over that drop down and I happen to be scrolling at the time it will end up opening a new browser for each chapter as it scrolls through there.

My only request would be to modify that from an "on_change" or "on_click" code execution to a button next to it which will launch a new browser for the selected chapter site.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
M.martian said:
Personally I like the vBulletin software. I've gotten used to it over on p4x4 and like it a lot in comparison with the other BBS software out there.

The only issue that I have with the new forum revolves around the "Other TTORA Forums" drop down under the banner ad at the top of the page. Any time my cursor goes over that drop down and I happen to be scrolling at the time it will end up opening a new browser for each chapter as it scrolls through there.

My only request would be to modify that from an "on_change" or "on_click" code execution to a button next to it which will launch a new browser for the selected chapter site.
That's a great idea.. why don't you post it in the errors/suggestions folder to make sure Maverick sees it...
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11567&postcount=1

1 - 20 of 36 Posts