TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I wasnt planning on buying a axle right off but got a good deal so I jumped on it.

For the front I picked up a 79 Ford HP D44 front housing with shafts, a separate housing with 4.88's and a Dodge axle for the flat top knuckles and outers. Then I also got a Ford 9 rear with 4.88's, spool, pinion guard and fresh brakes. Picked all of this up for $650.

Havent picked up the rear yet, wont be coming out of the buggy until May sometime.

Well anyways Im not planning on doing the swap till the earliest next winter. I pretty much want to make sure im getting the right parts and/or if I'm missing anything as I go.

Truck:
99 Tacoma reg cab (click link in sig to see all the specs)

Plans:
-I would like to try to keep the lift about the same at 2.5 inches or even just over 3 would be fine.
-Not shortening either axle down. (roughly 67 WMS front and 65 WMS rear)
-Doing a 3-link in the Front and leaving my Dakars in the rear for the time being.
-Running air shocks hopefully 14-16 inch travel (want to go up to the hood with the shock towers)
-Leaving the front open for a little while
-Like to run deep backspaced wheels to try to keep the tires inside the fenders as much as possible.
-Want to run a Q78 TSL (trimming the fenders a tad)
-Im pretty open about steering as long as its road legal so throw me some ideas, I already have a toyota box, pitman arm, steering shaft and rag joint.

So what do you all think? doable? impossible? Posted this for your guys input seeing you all have more experience with all this then I do. Been doing lots of reading here and there trying to get myself with a better understanding of all the little things that are involved.

Thanks,
Gagne

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
first ive never seen a sas as low as a 2.5ifs lift so prove me wrong id seriously love to see it. also with those widths ur not gunna be under the fenders. nice find for the price though. that 9 inch is worth more than what u paid for it all

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably wont but I am sure gonna try my hardest to keep it as low at I possibly can.

Yeah I know I wont be able too keep the whole tire in the fenders, as it sits now they stick out! but Ive been looking and found some 7 wide wheels with 5 inch back spacing, so Ill be closer to what I am now.

yeah bought the front and rear completely separate at different times from the same guy. $300 for the front and $350 for the rear.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
u can do it real low, u just have to be realistic about how much uptravel u are willing to go without

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Pretty sure airshocks aren't a good choice for a street driven rig. Especially with how heavy your front end is.
x's 2 i totally blew through were he posted that

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Well I wasnt planning on buying a axle right off but got a good deal so I jumped on it.

For the front I picked up a 79 Ford HP D44 front housing with shafts, a separate housing with 4.88's and a Dodge axle for the flat top knuckles and outers. Then I also got a Ford 9 rear with 4.88's, spool, pinion guard and fresh brakes. Picked all of this up for $650.

Havent picked up the rear yet, wont be coming out of the buggy until May sometime.

Well anyways Im not planning on doing the swap till the earliest next winter. I pretty much want to make sure im getting the right parts and/or if I'm missing anything as I go.

Truck:
99 Tacoma reg cab (click link in sig to see all the specs)

Plans:
-I would like to try to keep the lift about the same at 2.5 inches or even just over 3 would be fine.
-Not shortening either axle down. (roughly 67 WMS front and 65 WMS rear)
-Doing a 3-link in the Front and leaving my Dakars in the rear for the time being.
-Running air shocks hopefully 14-16 inch travel (want to go up to the hood with the shock towers)
-Leaving the front open for a little while
-Like to run deep backspaced wheels to try to keep the tires inside the fenders as much as possible.
-Want to run a Q78 TSL (trimming the fenders a tad)
-Im pretty open about steering as long as its road legal so throw me some ideas, I already have a toyota box, pitman arm, steering shaft and rag joint.

So what do you all think? doable? impossible? Posted this for your guys input seeing you all have more experience with all this then I do. Been doing lots of reading here and there trying to get myself with a better understanding of all the little things that are involved.

Thanks,
Gagne
wow, great finds! just the HP Ford can go for what you paid for the bunch :p

Are you sticking with the 8-lug setup or swapping knuckles for 6-lug?

That axle is at least 68" so there's no way you are getting the tires in the fender wells...and being able to turn the truck...regardless of wheel choice. (nobody makes wheels with that much bs anyway)
or...cut the long side tube down to make the axle closer to OE or what the Waggy is @ about 61"

Deep BS wheels will make your hubs stick way the hell out...bad news...don't do that.

No way you'll do a swap with 2.5" of lift unless you plan on some sort of custom oil pan ;) even then I doubt it is possible.

forget the air shock idea

stick with 12-14" of front travel shocks. If you go more your driveline will bind at droop...regardless of who's aftermarket one you get. 34* of working angle is about it, even with Tom Woods. I have 12" shocks and full droop is just over 30*.

what size tires are you looking at?

Matt is pretty much the king of low around here :p

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sticking with the 8-lug setup or swapping knuckles for 6-lug?
Im actually going 5x5.5 with Dodge flat top knuckles
A. $400 for Highsteer
B. Matching lug pattern as the rear 9inch
C. Supposedly be around 67 inches WMS
D. 5x5.5 lug pattern will give me a lot more used wheel tire combos I can pick up for short money around here.

That axle is at least 68" so there's no way you are getting the tires in the fender wells...and being able to turn the truck...regardless of wheel choice. (nobody makes wheels with that much bs anyway)
or...cut the long side tube down to make the axle closer to OE or what the Waggy is @ about 61"
I found multiple ones on 4wheelparts that were 5 in BS on a 7 wide wheel...Also I wouldnt want to cut it down, my rear is going to be 65 WMS

Deep BS wheels will make your hubs stick way the hell out...bad news...don't do that.
How do people get away with it using H1 wheels?

No way you'll do a swap with 2.5" of lift unless you plan on some sort of custom oil pan ;) even then I doubt it is possible.
How come Mike and pinktaco were able to acheive low frame heights? Stretching it? Cause Im already planning on stretching it....

what size tires are you looking at?
Q78 TSL's, Measures 35.5x11 on either 15 or 16 inch wheels

Thanks for all the input and links!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its not gonna be my DD in about a month and half.....picking up my Duramax

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(Clears throat) Show me a SAS Tacoma lower than mine that still has 7" of uptravel. :D
You have a build thread on your rig??

1 - 20 of 53 Posts