TTORA Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I love working with both parts Mike and Dan at Ruff stuff. Both offer great knowledge and customer services.
My buddies all work with them, from what I hear they are awesome to work with and they try the hardest to get exactly what you need.

Now with that said. I have had nothing but bad luck with any "kit" that i have purchased for anything when i did my swap. Granted Ruff stuff did not have that "Kit" at the time.
Im sure I will have to do some fabrication to the mounts and what not. just the heims would almost cost me as much as the kit.

As far as the options listed:
Outside frame Panhard
Off set panhard
Thanks a lot for this info, so hard to see what would work better without have the IFS cut out of it yet.

I need some schooling on the option about Tower direction, not sure what their talking about there.
Yeah it was the first I heard those terms, I will ask my buddy and see if he knows.

I pushed my axle as far forward as possible, IIRC that was about 4" . I pushed the box as far forward as possible, ended up cutting into the radiator support to get as far as i did.
I was thinking a 3 inch stretch, don't want to go too much longer. We have a lot of tight trails and being wider too should make it interesting.

Question: Do you all think the 1.25 Heims are big/strong enough to get beat on like we beat on stuff? They sound little small.....
Its the biggest heims Ruff stuff makes. They are about the size of a small fist.

I built all the brackets on mine.

Pan hard frame mount:

You can see in this pict that the panhard is in front of axle center line. Can also see that there isnt much room down there.
Thanks for the pictures! Any of the whole truck??

Thanks a lot for all the input!

PS. hopefully that picture works, its off his facebook

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
lol yeah i would say that those heims will work out.

Heres a couple picts .... i dont have many, lol i seem to be the only one that takes picts on our trips.

Here is one from right after the swap, (i like this pict for some reason)

More recent

I need to recruit a photographer

Merry Christmas!!!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
i pushed my axle forward 3" and also had to cut away/fab a new body mount because of the box being pushed so far forward. The IFS box i built mine with I got from another member and came off of a 4runner i believe. I bought Wyatt's old IFS box and the cylindrical part on it facing the front of the truck is about an inch or so shorter than the one I currently run......if i'd have had that to begin with it'd made my build a few days shorter ;)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just made a order a couple days ago through ruffstuff. The 3-link kit is on its way along with 9" swap kit for the rear and disc brake conversion.

Doing the rear first and hopefully the lift will be up by the time Im ready to do the front. Got the bed all ready to be pulled off, just waiting for a warmer day to take out back (been a high of 5 degrees). Then Im cutting all the stock crossmembers out, reinforcing the frame and boxing it, all new crossmembers. Swapping the 9" in and getting it prepped for the cage. Ill be ordering the front frame plates and oil pan on the 15th.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
be sure to take frame width measurements before taking out the crossmembers. If you can, reinforce the frame 1st then cut them out one at a time welding the new ones in. It will help keep things from moving on you if that's of any importance to you.

I did a rear crossmember that my lower links attach to out of 2x4 rectangle tube and it turned out very nicely. the rest are .120 wall 1.75" round tube.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Very nice!

Who did you go with for the Disk swap? I have an extra 9" sitting in the shop and want to convert it over before putting under the truck.

lol the drums are useless.,

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
silverback, thanks for the advice. My frame needs to be tweaked anyways, the passenger frame rail is sitting a tad low in the rear. Keeping it perfectly straight isnt a huge concern for me. But Ill probably do the outer frame plates first then cut the old cross members out and continue with the new cross members and boxing. might even swap the spring perches out while im in that deep.

Mythica, I ordered the weld on ones from ruffstuff. Uses bronco rotors and chevy calipers.

heres the link http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/9WELD325.html

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ok i have seen those on the site, thanks for the link.

But i need some schooling as to how it all fits together. I will be watching your build ....

I cant pitcure how they actually work.

Does the rotor attach straight to the "stock" axle? Or are there spindles involved. I see that the braket holds the caliper, just cant picture how the rest goes together.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yeah I will make sure Ill take goo pictures of that for ya. Gonna ask a buddy of mine in my local club, I believe he has a converted 9" not quite positive.

In a week Ill be ordering by drive flange for the 9" and possible the oil pan. we'll see after I pay my bills (damn money!!) hahaha

Im hoping to get up to the shop and work on it some beginning of the week in between classes, and work and I will snap some pics.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Parts came in from ruffstuff. Some really nice stuff from them, very impressed. have pics but need to take better ones....will post soon.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So I havent been on here in a while.

Update:

Frame is straight and fully boxed. Got my wheels for the new axles. Bought all my tubing for the full cage along with corbeau JP seats, 5 point harness and winch mount.

Truck is gonna be under the knife next weekend as we start the caging. Ordering all my axle parts and sas parts this weekend except for drive shafts and front shocks this weekend.

Also I will be going 14 inch air shocks in the rear with the leafs, holding on the front to see what length I need.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Not really updating this thread anymore, current build up can be found here build thread

Thanks for lookin!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts