TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have the extended diff breather done but I'm still curious as to the max fording depth on a stock extra cab. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Theoretically as deep as your air intake is I would assume. Whether you can make that depth is another matter. That's just above the passenger front fender so what a couple feet and some inches?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Given the title 7wt, what are you fishing for, and why don't you get a boat. Tacomas are great but they don't make a good platform for smallies.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been trying to catch a few smallies but keep coming up with redfish and specks....what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
dont forget about the trans. auto,s are sealed alot better than manuals but both get water in very easy if u get in water about 6 inchs up the door in water

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
7wt said:
Ok so I have the extended diff breather done but I'm still curious as to the max fording depth on a stock extra cab. Any thoughts?
As long as you don't get deep enough to drown your ECU...just below your glove box.

like they say...'don't stop!'

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
7wt said:
I have been trying to catch a few smallies but keep coming up with redfish and specks....what am I doing wrong?

I just noticed your location. Do I know you? :xbeer3:

·
Registered
469 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
As long as you don't stop I would assume you are ok up to your intake, but when you stop you endanger all the electronics.
Why would your electronics be any less damaged by moving water than they would be by standing water? I'm kind of confused as to what you mean by this. I don't see how it would make any difference.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Jamier2 said:
Why would your electronics be any less damaged by moving water than they would be by standing water? I'm kind of confused as to what you mean by this. I don't see how it would make any difference.

more time ur in the water the longer it has to come threw the holes in your cab

·
Registered
469 Posts
I can see that less time to get in the cab, but what about in the electronics outside the cab? Are they waterproof enough to take it (I'm talking submerged since the thread is about fording).

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Jamier2 said:
When you are moving forward you are creating a wake effectively keeping the water from rushing into the cab. If you lose momentum and stop the water will find it's way into the cab and if it is high enough it will swamp the computer. ..been there done that in a Nissan. plus once the carpet gets swamped it never quite smells the same.
The best rule for fording is if you don't want the truck sitting in the water at that depth for a long period of time, don't cross it. If you don't need to cross deep water don't. Water damage is the worst. If the water is moving rapidly or rising stay out of it. Not only is it possible to damage your truck it is very dangerous. If you get into deep water and your engine starts gurgling..to late!

I have the extended breathers but try not to need them believing that it is best to stay less than hub deep but sometimes those cracks and holes are deeper than they look. :boobies:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I can see that less time to get in the cab, but what about in the electronics outside the cab? Are they waterproof enough to take it (I'm talking submerged since the thread is about fording).
outside the cab is mainly ur alt. if its submerged it goes out FAST, and on our tacos there very low

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
When you are moving forward you are creating a wake effectively keeping the water from rushing into the cab.
I understand all that about keeping the cab dry, and I've forded pretty deep stuff in my old jeeps (but the cabs sure didn't stay dry lol), but I didn't understand how going faster would keep electronic things safe since I didn't know he was just talking about the things inside the cab.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bryanccfshr said:
I just noticed your location. Do I know you? :xbeer3:
I ran into you out on the island one day. I pestured you about your truck...you sold me on the benifits of an undercoating and we went our seperate ways never to speak again.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Snorkle it!

Yes yes I to asked the same questions before too m snorkle goes on this week. I did the breathers too. worked great.

Aaron

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
when the water starts coming over the hood,head for shore.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
7wt said:
I ran into you out on the island one day. I pestured you about your truck...you sold me on the benifits of an undercoating and we went our seperate ways never to speak again.
:eek:fftopic:
Hmmm. Was it down PINS and do you have an orange skid plate?
Nice to see someone from Corpus Posting.
I talk to so many folks, I lose track. Wish I was fishing this weeked and not experieincing this weather which is mild)

LONG..BS stuff

FIELD TRAVEL & WORK ADVISORY
Saturday, December 4, 2004

Current Weather: Temp -2*F
Wind mph 10-26 from the NE
Chill Factor -26°F

** Normal Driving Conditions **

Travel is permitted using extreme caution. Reduce speed and be certain all equipment (radio, lights, etc.) is operating properly. Arctic gear is required.
Heighten your awareness.
Assume conditions will become more severe.
Check your Arctic gear, fuel level and communication ability.
Normal travel with extreme caution is approved but everyone should weigh the importance of their travel and consider other options.

.SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 10 TO 15 BELOW. EAST WINDS TO
10 MPH.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 20 TO 25 BELOW. WEST WINDS
TO 10 MPH.
.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 5 TO 15 BELOW. LIGHT WINDS.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 10 TO 20 BELOW. LIGHT WINDS.

RIG MOVES No Scheduled Rig Moves

SAFETY CONCERNS: Entrances and Exits to the Camps and Intersections may be slick. Please use caution when traveling on the roads. Please observe the “No Vehicle Idling” areas in the parking lots where posted. Use the handrails on the stairs. Use caution when walking across the parking lots to your vehicles and use the proper entering and exiting techniques to avoid injuries.

Wildlife Alert: Polar Bears are roaming around the field in several places, mostly in the West Dock area all the way down to CCP. They have also been at East Dock, Endicott and Niakuk. Please use caution when working outside, and report any sightings of Polar Bears or Grizzly Bears to MCC Dispatch immediately. (659-5631)

BADGING:
Badging hours at the East Checkpoint are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.
CAUTION: When obtaining new ID Badges at East Checkpoint, ensure you park on the outbound side of the guard shack. Do not use the inbound side for parking, due to a high probability of being struck by an inattentive driver pulling away from the window.
To obtain a badge, complete a Badge Request Form, found in the Public Folder in “S” Drive, titled “BPX Badge Request Form”, or from any of the security desks or checkpoints. After completing the form and having your CAM (Contract Accountable Manager - BP Sponsor) sign it, go to the East Checkpoint. Your Cardkey P2000Ò badge will be made while you wait. A letter from your employer stating the reason for needing access to the field would help expedite your time at the Check Points. NSTC Training is required to enter the field and to receive a badge. (Please note the limited parking available at the East Checkpoint. Also there is room for only two people inside the checkpoint waiting to be badged. You may have to wait in your truck.) Please do not show up at the checkpoint without a properly completed and signed authorization form.
A Cardkey P2000 Security badge, or your pictured State or Government issued I.D. will be required to enter or exit the field.

MCC SECURITY 659-5631

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had the hood on my Taco completely underwater.. Of course, had I stopped, then I would really have been in trouble!!

.. and that's with no lift and P265 tires.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
I have lost an alternator to dirty water. Tacos don't like dirty water.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts