TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 89 3.0L, pickup over this last summer, and it has had a valve tick since I got it. I have never paid any attention to it since I had a completely brand new rebuilt 3.4 motor at home. Well my truck finally decided that it is time for the new motor. I was going uphill on 6th avenue the other day and downshifted to 3rd cause I was slowing down. Nothing out of the usual with 35's and stock 4.10 gears. All of a sudden the valve tick got about 10x louder and I could feel it from inside the vehicle. I knew this was not good! I got the truck home after work and it has sat there until today when I finally got some time to investigate. The noise was coming from the drivers side valve cover. I popped it open and found this...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats actually a shim that goes between the valve spring, and what the camshaft hits to open the valve. I am going to go through everything else to see if it damaged the cam lobe or anything else.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
That sucks man. Now you can get cracking on getting that 3.4 in!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup! I have all next week off, and will get it taken care of! I will probably be fixing the motor also to put into another yota with a bad motor.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn, wore that shim right through. That cam cant be in good shape after taking that much metal off the shim. Not getting much oil flow up there?
They do wear out, but the truck only has 170k original miles, and supposedly has new heads on it. They may have reused the internals of the heads though. I still need to check the lobe though to be sure. I plan on going to the salvage yard and getting a bunch of shims and possibly a new cam if I need it. hopefully my buddy has the shim I need but it is worth checking them all out if one was in this shape... I have always had good oil pressure since I have had it, and I run rotella in it, so lack of oil should not have been a problem.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Ouch! 3.4 time!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts