TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend said i should go with Fox 2.0 series shocks in the back, instead of bilsteins 5150's....does anyone have any comments? Fox makes a better shock rite? thx for the input

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
my buddy has the fox 2.0 remote resevoir shocks and likes them, not sure if you're asking about remote resevoir or emulsion shocks though...the remote resevoirs are better than my 5100's, but that's comparing apples to oranges. the fox 2.0 remote resevoirs are more comparable to the bilstein 7100's

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im talking bout the emulsion...i figure that if they were better than bils 5100 and 5150s, i would pay the extra 15 bucks for them...i dont think i want to spend 180 for the remote resevoirs tho...i was just curious because most posts I read here tlak bout the bilsteins..thx for the input

·
Banned
598 Posts
i dont know anything about the Fox shocks. but why are you told Fox instead of Bilstein or OME or Doetsch Tech or DeMello or Rancho???

dont go overboard, buy only what you need.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
cvajs said:
i dont know anything about the Fox shocks. but why are you told Fox instead of Bilstein or OME or Doetsch Tech or DeMello or Rancho???

dont go overboard, buy only what you need.
Demello has his own shocks now?

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
schcott said:
my friend said i should go with Fox 2.0 series shocks in the back, instead of bilsteins 5150's....does anyone have any comments? Fox makes a better shock rite? thx for the input
Honestly, you need to decide what you are planning to do with your truck... Jumping etc.. the more shock the better. rock crawling: bilsteins, rancho, etc.. If you aren't gona be hanging out in the sand every weekend, you really won't get the benifit from the Fox stuff...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
atwinda said:
Demello has his own shocks now?
i think he meant donahoe shocks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in all honesty, i probably dont need the Fox, but i figured that i would pay a little bit extra for a better shock (if they are better shocks)...i dont plan on doing a whole lot of offroading (altho that could change)...his reason was because many of the offroad trucks you see at the desert are running, Fox, kings, or sway-a-aways, not Bils...also, the Fox are rebuildable, Bilstein doesnt say theirs are....im just trying to get opinions before i buy, thx

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
atwinda said:
I was just giving him a hard time :)
ahhh...sorry its kinda hard to see the sarcasm sometimes.

to the original poster...why would you get shocks that cost more for off road if you dont plan on going off road that much? i beat the hell out of my bilsteins...to the point where theyre so hot you cant even touch them...and they're fine

·
Registered
618 Posts
for mild off-road use the 2.0's are bitchen in comparison to the bilstiens. YOTRacer158 and myself probobly do a llittle more off-roading than you will (not to rip on you) but make sure that the valving is correct. that will make the biggest difference. lets put it this way. You could spend $2200 on a bilstien blackhawk or king kong, but if they are valved wrong they are useless. if you want the bling factor and a better ride off-road, then go with the foxs. but if its a pavement pownder and they aren't going to heat up, then don't stress. im sure you've seen the valvoline comercials "heat is oil's worst enemy" same goes with a shock. my 2.0's run at 220 degrees, so i have to rebuild them all the time, the oil fades and then the shock gets harsh......this is way to long of a post for your topic........damit i did it again. Im gonna shut up now but get the 2.0's....or even better wait till Donahoe come out with thiers. -Drew

·
Registered
123 Posts
the fox, king, bilstein(7100 and above), and sway a way shocks are all comprable to one another and they are all rebuildable. The bilstein 5100 are not rebuildable. I personally would go with the fox's simply because you can tune them(valve them) accordingly until they are perfect for what you want.
the reason the bilsteins are brought up a lot is because they are a direct replacement(tacoma specific shock) the others are sold in length usually from about 8" up to 16" in 2" increments.
and a bilstein 7100 is equal to the fox 2.0. the 5100 is a different style shock.

·
Registered
50 Posts
atwinda said:
Honestly, you need to decide what you are planning to do with your truck... Jumping etc.. the more shock the better. rock crawling: bilsteins, rancho, etc.. If you aren't gona be hanging out in the sand every weekend, you really won't get the benifit from the Fox stuff...
Fox isn't just for desert stuff, They are awesome on rockcrawling rigs also.

Jordan

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
dadunc205x said:
the fox, king, bilstein(7100 and above), and sway a way shocks are all comprable to one another and they are all rebuildable. The bilstein 5100 are not rebuildable. I personally would go with the fox's simply because you can tune them(valve them) accordingly until they are perfect for what you want.
the reason the bilsteins are brought up a lot is because they are a direct replacement(tacoma specific shock) the others are sold in length usually from about 8" up to 16" in 2" increments.
and a bilstein 7100 is equal to the fox 2.0. the 5100 is a different style shock.
the 7100's is equal to the remote resevoir 2.0s...not the emulsions. and the 5125's are the same as 5100's but come in custom lengths from 6.5-14.5" lengths

·
Registered
50 Posts
ptrautne said:
How much lift do you have?
I'm not quite sure but its around 10-12 inches

Jordan

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
YoTRacer158 said:
ahhh...sorry its kinda hard to see the sarcasm sometimes.

to the original poster...why would you get shocks that cost more for off road if you dont plan on going off road that much? i beat the hell out of my bilsteins...to the point where theyre so hot you cant even touch them...and they're fine
i understand wut ur saying...(and im not trying to be sarcastic) but wouldnt u pay an extra 15 bucks for a better shock (even if u didnt really need them??) if they are going to give me a better ride, then thats wut i want obviously...no offense taken BLOWN...Dadunc, there are different sizes tho for the bils rite??.. btw thx everyone for ur comments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts