TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was just reading through another post and noticed it was plastered with "No FRAM filters!!!". What the heck?? I run FRAM's Tough Guard oil filter. Am I totally F$%@d?? What gives?

I love this forum; Learn something (or about 20 things) new every day!!

Thanks,

Beave

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

I was just reading through another post and noticed it was plastered with "No FRAM filters!!!". What the heck?? I run FRAM's Tough Guard oil filter. Am I totally F$%@d?? What gives?

Thanks,

Beave
There is a lot of information floating around the internet. Sometimes it's hard to separate the good information from the bullshit. I can't tell you what is bullshit and what is good info, but there is some interesting reading here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My general analysis of everyone's input i've heard and absorbed led me to believe the only "safe" filter is the OEM toyota ones. Frams got slammed pretty hard for not having the same filtering qualities and not having flowback valves.

·
Registered
650 Posts
considering FRAM makes toyotas fuel filter, they must be decent .. hell they may even make the stock toyota oil filter. i use the tough guard Fram's on my rig and really dont care since its a truck and not a race car.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

Thanks,

Beave
Well if it tells you anything, im on motor #3 (yea thats right) and i am never running a fram filter again.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
DesertTRD said:
Well if it tells you anything, im on motor #3 (yea thats right) and i am never running a fram filter again.
Not to be a turd, but how many of the motor failures were directly oil filter related?? I mean, I cut them open all the time, and don't see all this pity crying about failures I have read. Or, are these guys running 150psi oil pumps or something?? And 3 motors in how many miles??? I know you drive hard, you might think about shortening service intervals. Just a thought. Do you have a link on the piston slap??

·
Registered
58 Posts
snowchucker said:
considering FRAM makes toyotas fuel filter, they must be decent .. hell they may even make the stock toyota oil filter. i use the tough guard Fram's on my rig and really dont care since its a truck and not a race car.
Just because Fram makes the Toyota filter, doesn't mean it's the same. he company I work for makes Lawn a Garden products under our own brand and for some of our competitiors. In some cases, the product is exactly the same, just in a different bottle. Other times it's different and made to our customer's (competitors) specs. They may be made by the same company, but to totally different specs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Someone had posted a very helpful link about oil filters a while back & after reading it, I was shocked too. I had been running Fram Tough gard filters....Now I use Mobile 1 filters...they rated very high in the test. BTW....if anyone knows of the filter test site...please post a link again. Thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tough Guard is better that a regular Fram. See link below for an alaysys. I have also been using Tough Guards with no issues and 125k on the truck now....makes me want to think about changing though....

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

·
Banned
598 Posts
i'm not sure if Ken Shelton in on here (maybe Roger knows the link), but i had a link from Ken that showed all sorts of filter analysis on various name brand filters.

my conclusion was, use WIX (dana) oil filters. they are not the best (mobil-1 or something was better), but WIX was outstanding for the price (fram was near the bottom of the list)

start here: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

i think i'm using the wix 51515 on my 02 2.7L

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Not to be a turd, but how many of the motor failures were directly oil filter related?? I mean, I cut them open all the time, and don't see all this pity crying about failures I have read. Or, are these guys running 150psi oil pumps or something?? And 3 motors in how many miles??? I know you drive hard, you might think about shortening service intervals. Just a thought. Do you have a link on the piston slap??
shortening my serivce intervals, i do an oil change every 3k.. you shouldent have to shorten them up more than that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
While Fram my be on the bottom of the list of this online test I still don't think that means they are bad. My grandfather ran Fram filters on his GMC pickup and put 300K on it running nothing but Fram filters oil and air. My dad who was a heavy equiment mechanic for 12 years uses Fram too. I used Fram on my last car and now my truck (Fram sure grip). Obviously, between the three of us we have put some miles on Fram filters. I am not saying that they filter better than the others only that just because they filter less doesn't mean they are a POS. I think alot of people are playing chicken little over oil filter brands.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
DesertTRD said:
shortening my serivce intervals, i do an oil change every 3k.. you shouldent have to shorten them up more than that.
Yeah... I agree with you. That should do the job. What caused the motors to let go? Lifters, timing belts,etc?? Did you walk under a ladder , break a dozen mirrors?? Do you run a v6, or a 4 cyl? Just wondering. Also, I was seriously wondering if you knew of a way to check the piston slap? Thanks. Paul. :xdevil:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, thanks for the links and opinions. So I guess Frams Tough Guard isn't that bad, but I don't think I want cardboard in my oil filter. Next time around I am going for Mobil 1 or Napas WIX filters.

Thanks again everyone,

Beave

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:
While Fram my be on the bottom of the list of this online test I still don't think that means they are bad. My grandfather ran Fram filters on his GMC pickup and put 300K on it running nothing but Fram filters oil and air. My dad who was a heavy equiment mechanic for 12 years uses Fram too. I used Fram on my last car and now my truck (Fram sure grip). Obviously, between the three of us we have put some miles on Fram filters. I am not saying that they filter better than the others only that just because they filter less doesn't mean they are a POS. I think alot of people are playing chicken little over oil filter brands.
So does this mean that the off the shelf fram oil filter John Force uses sucks?? Let's see your taco go 300mph for even 1 second... How will the oil filter hold up?? If you change your iol every 5K, and keep on top of things, you are gonna be fine. I would worry about my stock shocks wearing out faster, to tell you the truth... :xdevil:

·
Registered
495 Posts
rojodiablo said:
So does this mean that the off the shelf fram oil filter John Force uses sucks?? Let's see your taco go 300mph for even 1 second... How will the oil filter hold up?? If you change your iol every 5K, and keep on top of things, you are gonna be fine. I would worry about my stock shocks wearing out faster, to tell you the truth... :xdevil:
:confused: Are you trying to bash me or agree with me?

·
Banned
598 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo
So does this mean that the off the shelf fram oil filter John Force uses sucks?? Let's see your taco go 300mph for even 1 second... How will the oil filter hold up?? If you change your iol every 5K, and keep on top of things, you are gonna be fine. I would worry about my stock shocks wearing out faster, to tell you the truth...
nitro's, top fuels, alcohols..... their done after 4sec. did you notice any air filters on those puppies??? it's probably more like a endorsement than actually seeing a fram off-the-shelf filter on the motor. do they even run oil filters?

to be at that level the motors and oil are already very clean, then run for 4 secs., and if need be they get rebuilt during the event. heck, if they blow the motor they buy a new one.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
GreenTaco4x4 said:
:confused: Are you trying to bash me or agree with me?
I'm agreeing with you. Just making a point, that when a guy is running an off the shelf product to protect his $150K motor, wether it is 4 seconds or 4 months, must say something about them. The stuff that will get past a filter in normal use is already running around in there. Not much sweating it. If a filter was buckling, the way a dirty fuel filter or sometimes a dirty air filter can, you would have something to sweat. So, anyone want to cut their filter apart carefully after 3-5k, and take some pictures. Then post 'em. I can tell you, they will be VERY similar to what the next one will look like.Regardless if they are fram, mobil one, or toyota. Then, I'll get a picture from my idiot roommmate who hasn't changed his 2003 chevy filter in 10,000 MILES. That is one filter that is gonna be SHOT. He figures the "change oil light" is telling him to do it sometime soon. Maybe.... :xdevil:

·
Registered
878 Posts
rojodiablo said:
So does this mean that the off the shelf fram oil filter John Force uses sucks?? Let's see your taco go 300mph for even 1 second... How will the oil filter hold up?? If you change your iol every 5K, and keep on top of things, you are gonna be fine. I would worry about my stock shocks wearing out faster, to tell you the truth... :xdevil:[/QUOTE

Engine wear happens faster than you think...my dad has used Fram oil and air filters for ever and still doesn't realize that wear and performance lose are related...just because an engine is still running doesn't mean it hasn't lost performance!! Any operational filter will keep the engine from seizing prematurly (FRAM has a high history of failure) but that doesn't mean the filter is consistantly helping to reduce performance robbing contaminates...cheap filters are just that!!

Last time I was near John Forces' Mustang it neither had a Ford Engine nor a Ford Chassis and the body really didn't look like a Mustang either... I'm a Castrol motor oil fan...and they aren't exactly running the same stuff I buy either...if you think an off the shelf paper Fram oil filter can handle the oil pressure and tolerences required for a 6000+hp racing engine and/or not trigger the bypass valve to close in the process(causing engine damage at that high RPM)...you'll buy anything!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have cut apart oil filters(High School Auto class years ago)...its a great way to see the difference in filter media, surface area as far as pleating and quality of construction!!

I noticed that the Fram filter had less dirt because it had less surface area to catch contaminates...and the string and cardboard were badly warped and most of the oil was bypassing the filter media!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts