TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Towed a 3000lb boat with trailer... I just installed a class 3 reese 5500lb/500tongue tow hitch last week and I just got the truck TWO WEEKS AGO This happened after 50 miles of towing. Is this normal... i thought tacomas had 5000lb of towing capacity? I also hauled about 2000lbs of marble tile once in the bed.... but that was weeks ago.

I was thinking about welding a new piece of the frame to simulate a box frame. The C style frame on this truck sucks!!!

What do you guys think I should do? I just weld a $hit load of metal to the rear frame to reinforce it. If I can't tow with this i might as well buy a F150. I know the new fords have box frames.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It doesn't look bent to me. Even though I've done it myself, 2000lbs in the bed isn't good. I don't remember the exact number but I think the payload was around 1100lbs. Were you on the bump stops?

Why did you buy a light duty truck if you are going to tow and haul heavy loads on a frequent basis? Boxing the frame will help but that doesn't mean you should continue to haul 2000lbs in the bed. You're going to kill it if you continue to do that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, except worse. My frame also cracked where the tow package bolts up. Ive been wanting to refab the back part of the frame, but I havent been able to because my lower back is all jacked up. I plan on replacing it with thicker metal, going with the boxed in frame, and adding support to the tow package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm only going to haul 2000lbs once... i'm redoing the kitchen floor for my father. But on the other hand I will tow on a frequent basis. I plan to tow 3000lbs every weekend to take the boat out on the water. The boat might be 3500lbs with all the stuff I have on board with fuel and things.

so should i box the rear frame? will it be able to handle two or three seasons of towing? (i'm in PA - only use boat in the summer.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Doesn't look like a very ghood hitch. Mine wraps on the outer sides of the frame rail.

My load is distributed to the whole wieth of the frame. That hitch is just hanging on the bottom piece of the frame. Not very structurally strong...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here are some pictures. When this happened the trailer I was towing was under the tow limits by 1000lbs. I was also using weight distribution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do you have an OEM trailer hitch? is the OEM one better? Can someone confirm? thanks.

izahick1 - damn so you were towing 4000lbs? any idea on a fix for it? (wonder if the tundra has a better rear frame?)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well I have the reece towing package, I'm not for sure if it came on the truck from the factory.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Here are some pictures. When this happened the trailer I was towing was under the tow limits by 1000lbs. I was also using weight distribution. IMO just a shitty designed frame.

That is a Shitty hitch, thats one of the universals from reese no ? I can see where the bracket attaches yada yada... That hangs on to the two bolts underneith, I bought THAT hitch and went to install it and said no way. I went and ordered a drawtite. It uses 4 bolts per side, (2) 1/2" Grade eight bolts with BIG washers and the "tabs" they give you, on each side, for the bottoms. Than the factory bumper mounting bolts, 2 on each side.... My hidden hitch is stout and I just hauled a couple thousand pounds a few months ago, and it and the truck did wonderful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Um, somethings not right there. I tow my 2600 lbs race car on a dual axle trailer with my taco and the frame doesn't look that bad. I've towed this set up atleast half a dozen times. The only problem I am having is my leaf springs are bowed right over,kinda like a sad face.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah I was towing my travel trailer. Hell I was under the limits, and I had no problem pulling it. I had the sway bar, weight dist. and brake box. I had just got the trailer parked, and when I was lowering the jack, the frame gave way and I damned near lost my foot. I tried talking to toyota about it, and they just kept blowing me off, so I said fuck it, I'll fix it myself.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well It does only have two bolts for each side that holds it up, but I had no clue that it was a universal type. But on the tow package its says the weight limit is 5000lbs, just like in my owners manual.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
The factory Tacoma hitch goes to the outside of the frame rails. It basicaly bolts to the sides of the frame. This means that the weakest point is the shear stregnth of your bolts...

With those hitches, you are underneath the frame. You are pulling down on one little point of the frame. The Factory hitch bolts onto the side so it distributes the load over the entire frame.

Only reason I buy Factory parts...

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Shoot, I tow my 3200 pound boat and the truck has no problem, and I didn't have any problems on my old truck or this truck...

It also towed 5800 pounds no problem. Oops!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you have a 2001... so the 2000 oem hitch mounts to the sides as well? If so I'll go get one.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Yes. My old truck was a 99, and it mounted on the sides.

Basically, if you go look at your truck right now, and you look at how the bumper bolts up, the factry mount is about 1/4" plate steel, sandwiched between the frame and bumper bracket.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an aftermarket hitch and it bolts to the outside of the frame like the o.e.It tucks out of site behind bumper,the only thing you see is the reciever.It's made by Valley industries.:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well it seems that I learn something new everyday. I just checked out Valley Industries web site, and Im going to start making some phone calls in the morning about buying one. I would have never known that there was another tow package design for the tacomas. Yall just made my day :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
same here... i'm going to the dealer tomorrow and see how well the oem tow hitch is designed. I wonder if advanceauto will take this hitch back... i did throw away the box already.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I installed the OEM hitch when I had my '01. It's built MUCH better than either of the two shown above. And like one of the previous posts said; it gets sandwiched between the bumper bracket and the frame. OE is Much better designed. Besides, Toyota designed for their truck to handle the rated 5k limit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts