TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise on what I should do..I recently discovered that I’ve got 2 cracks on my frame, they are on the inside and outside of my driver side frame rail. The cracks are coming off the bolts that mount the steering box in place. I realize this is a somewhat common occurrence with SAS'd Toyotas, so I am looking for a little direction. What would be the best thing to do? Should I have the cracks welded and plate the inside and out with 1/4" steel? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I can take pictures tomorrow if someone wants to see them.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Grind the cracks a bit to expose them, you want them to have a "V" profile before welding them.

Weld them, and plate the frame. Your steering box bolts should be 'sleeved' thru the frame, to keep the frame from 'denting' or 'buckling'.

Pics are always good to see. A picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
have it repaired and then reinforce the crap out of the area..... use a bigger than needed area though to help spread the force out away from the cracks....

this is quite a common occurence, a lot of the fullsize chevy's have the same issue, and they actually sell frame reinforcement brackets because of it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts