TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put 285/70 17 Pro Comp Xtreme MT on my 06 DC 4x4 with a 3" Toytec OME/AAL and I had to trim plastic on both side of the front tires. All is well until I turn and compress (driveway etc) the tires rub on the fram part that extends from the main frame to support the body.

Aside from going up 3 more inches (and more money!), can I trim the frame section that supports the Body? This is pretty solid steel.:saw:

I tried to search first.....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
get different wheels or some spacers

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Trim it, then weld a plate steel cap on it if you are worried about the strength.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Wow... buy new wheels or cut and patch the frame... hhmmmm let me think about this one :rolleyes: Tough decision!

Just get a new set of rims. 4-4.5" of backspacing ought to get you there. I run 4.0".

·
Registered
145 Posts
At 4.5" BS and 285's I rubbed the body mount like crazy on the trail. Cut the frame. Its not hard.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I learned this from some heavy hitting mall wheeling.....my 22" chrome was rubbing all over the place everytime id drive by the GAP
Yeah, same here. I had to switch to 4.0" backspacing after I hit a curb in front of Nordstroms. No rubbing since then, even when I'm parking in front of the Cheesecake Factory.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I didn't have to cut my frame at all nor did I want to, to a new truck. I used a 4" back space with 285/70/17 coopers. I would have lived with it if they rubbed a little bit at full lock.
Same here. I just dont get why people want to cut the frame when its only 33s. :confused:

Obviously when things start getting bigger, I'll have to trim the shit out of everything, but for 33s it shouldnt have to be touched with the right rims.

·
Registered
145 Posts
you have no rubbing at all, in any situation, with 4" bs?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
you have no rubbing at all, in any situation, with 4" bs?
On the frame, no.

On the suspension, no.

On the rear of the front fenders, minor. Slight plastic trimming took care of it.

On the front ARB bumper, yes, but that will be fixed very soon.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I guess every truck must be different. I was almost tearing lugs off of my tires at 2.75" of lift on 285's when wheeling. modification took care of it, so im not worried about it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
On the frame, no.

On the suspension, no.

On the rear of the front fenders, minor. Slight plastic trimming took care of it.

X2 minor trimming on front fenders, but I will not be cutting my ARB.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have rubbing with a 17x9 rim on 4.5 BS and 285's.....I guess 4-4.5" BS does not always solve the problem....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
At 4.5" BS and 285's I rubbed the body mount like crazy on the trail. Cut the frame. Its not hard.
I didn't have to cut my frame at all nor did I want to, to a new truck. I used a 4" back space with 285/70/17 coopers. I would have lived with it if they rubbed a little bit at full lock.
With 4" BS

On the frame, no.

On the suspension, no.

I have rubbing with a 17x9 rim on 4.5 BS and 285's.....I guess 4-4.5" BS does not always solve the problem....
So far it looks pretty cut and dry.

Those who continued to have problems had 4.5" backspacing.

Those without problems had 4.0" backspacing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts