TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started pulling my eng after name brand cai allowed an undescribable amount of fine dirt into the intake and throttle body killing the eng.

In doing so i have found two broken motor mounts and the frame is pulled in and angled about an inch on both sides. The majority of the tweak looks like it is behing both motor mounts. Running camburg lt with coil bucket braces from tc.

Stuck as to where to go from here. I want to keep 4x4.

Find a stub that a junk yard will sell me at a decent price, or someone fairly close to western co that has done a sas and still has their stub or build entire new frame rails???

Been searching build threads like crazy.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
build a engine cage and kill the problem permanently. as for the cai could u explain what happened? im afraid of that happening, thinking maybe throwing a sleeve over the filter to add to the protection

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
building a cage is ok with me, but first i have to figure out how to get the bow out of the frame to get some stress off the eng and everything else.

On the cai, i have had it for almost 2 years and cleaned it regularly following the procedure to the T. Had to clean the throttle body out once or twice a year depending on how much offroading i did because of the dirt/oil sludge that would build up. Its a dry element so no oil whatsoever. Had no issues until after the last cleaning, and im not sure if the filter itself is bad or the sleeve that i put on it killed it.

If it was the the sleeve on the filter then in my mind what happened is the sleeve filters dirt down to a finer micron than the filter itself, hence letting every dust particle through the filter and into the eng.

I am honestly going to go back to the stock airbox and filter setup. it robs a few hp and torque but thats worth saving another engine.

·
Registered
819 Posts
build a engine cage and kill the problem permanently. as for the cai could u explain what happened? im afraid of that happening, thinking maybe throwing a sleeve over the filter to add to the protection
The sleeve helps, but we run the 7 ply aFe filters to help with the dust. The 5 ply allows dirt to come in.

Best way to help with dirt, is to run an oil / cotton filter, stock box, Snorkel... =-)

As for the frame...

Take it to a auto body shop that has a frame machine. They can pull it back into specks. Then build your engine cage. If your driving fast enough to bed your frame in, then you really need a full roll cage.
:2cents:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The sleeve helps, but we run the 7 ply aFe filters to help with the dust. The 5 ply allows dirt to come in.

Best way to help with dirt, is to run an oil / cotton filter, stock box, Snorkel... =-)
i have afe's dry filter in take set up, not sure if it came with 7 or 5 ply. but u think i should put oil on it or leav the intake dry?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes im sure that jump didn't do my truck any justice. (that landing hurt really bad too!!) But insurance is covering the repairs for the frame shop to get the frame back to spec. Then i will be on to an engine cage. Right now i just have a main hoop and door bars for a cage ran out of money to finish it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nk-vVIiTTw

good link to a video of our back yard

·
Registered
426 Posts
Old thread but what the heck...

I have a Volant intake. It has a box around the filter similar to the stock air box. It has about 1/2" of clearance between the tub and the box. So I make a grommet out of rubber to keep out the majority of the hot air from the engine compartment. The box has an opening on the side so I packed a few layers of UNI filter between the fender and the box.

Here are some pics.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
Frame shop can pull the frame straight/in spec. Then cut/plate the area around the motor mounts. Then cage the engine and your done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With a change of jobs, i was able to get the eng back in plated the frame with 3/16" didn't have time to build any brace over the eng. Frame shop said it was back in spec and have been using my truck as a daily driver with very little offroading and frame has gone back and is actually getting worse as it buckles.

Found a junk yard with a decent frame that im going to do a frame stub and start from scratch doing solid mounts plating and bracing before i even off road it once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts