TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum, Hoping I could get some help. Just dropped my Taco off at a dealer here in south east Michigan for the frame recall. They did the inspection, found multiple holes, it did not pass. So the service guy told me that it usually runs between $1300-$1500 (out of pocket)in extra parts not covered by the recall that needs to be replaced do to ware. They ordered the frame today and will be arrive to dealer in about 60 days. So they gave me a RAV4 to use until then. Has anyone been charged extra money to have the recall done? Any input would help, They said I at least have 60 days to save up the money, wow that's a big help.

Thanks for any help,

Rforrey

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't know about charged extra, but a lot of people have definitely paid extra. It may just be in the way things are being communicated. The recall covers a specific list of parts. From the various threads I've read on different forums there are other parts that are off/accessible/etc. during the process that are not covered but make sense to replace or could be affected. Most of the instances I see people say that the dealer will do the work for no labor charge, just the cost of the parts. Some people have them put aftermarkets on since it's torn down anyway.

If yours is telling you to replace other stuff due to normal wear and tear, then I'd ask them for some more clarification. Maybe they're looking out ahead for you, but it should be presented as an option, no matter how strongly suggested, not a requirement. Ask for a copy of the recall and that lists all affected/covered parts (someone posted an image of that here) and a list of everything else they're talking about replacing. Confirm that you'd only pay parts cost and not labor, then decide if you want to do it or not. There's a couple of more sizeable threads on Tacoma World and Toyota Nation on this, with plenty of posters who have actually had or are having it done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had a new frame put on my '06 Tacoma 2.7 w/ 200K mi here in VT. They originally inspected it for an undercoating warranty. Instead i was put on a list (a month long) to receive the full swap. It took a week and a half for the job. They gave me a brand new Tacoma as a loaner! All parts necessary to swap old w/ the new was included!

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum, Hoping I could get some help. Just dropped my Taco off at a dealer here in south east Michigan for the frame recall. They did the inspection, found multiple holes, it did not pass. So the service guy told me that it usually runs between $1300-$1500 (out of pocket)in extra parts not covered by the recall that needs to be replaced do to ware. They ordered the frame today and will be arrive to dealer in about 60 days. So they gave me a RAV4 to use until then. Has anyone been charged extra money to have the recall done? Any input would help, They said I at least have 60 days to save up the money, wow that's a big help.

Thanks for any help,

Rforrey
You won't have to pay a dime if you don't want to. There are some things that are wise to do while the tear down happens but that is completely optional. Tell the service guy you are going to phone corporate headquarters and ask why you are being charged for a recall and he will back right the fck down.
The techs get paid about 40 hours to do the recall and most can do it in three days (24-30 hours) so they are already making lots of $$$.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My frame replacement is scheduled the first part of 2015. I have already purchased new shocks, struts and a new rear bumper for free installation. I even ordered these parts from the dealer. Their quote was pretty high and I told them what I could get them (specifically the struts) and they matched the price. Their bumper price was $60 less than the closest aftermarket I found. So far, this has been a great experience for me. The service manager has been more than accommodating.

I have heard a number of stories on how they are charging folks. There are kits specifically for this and should be no cost. I was told anything that needs to be replaced because of this work, will be replaced at no cost. My dealer even told me I am getting a new front skid plate. If you are getting charged, you are being taken advantage of. Plain and simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts