TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hear is the short of it. Asshole in a Porsche cuts me off. I have to slam on the brakes and my puppy flys up to the front of the cab knocking the selector into Reverse. I didn't know that it got knocked into reverse and I hit the gas, and the truck just revs up and that is when I looked down and see it in Rev. My question is, is there a safety that is in place so I don't screw up my transmission?

·
Registered
101 Posts
probably just knocked it into neutral. How big was the dog? may have bent the selector making it look like it was in reverse, because if it was in reverse you would have made all kinds of noise

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dog is 18 lbs. and it may have gone to N. but it looked Like Reverse at the time. I could have killed the Porsche Dick!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I don't know how the transmission works, and have no idea whether there is some sort of safety mechanism or not. That said, I have done that a number of times at work(Toyota dealership) and have never seen it have any effect on teh way the car drives. Even on cars that we've put a lot of miles on afterwards, there seemed to be no difference.

Also, in my knowledge in general of how transmissions work, I would not expect there to be a little more than some temporary excess wear due to the fact that there is really only a fluid connection between your transmission and the engine most of the time. If I were to make a guess I would say you did not damage your truck nearly as much as you would have if you'd done a neutral drop(putting the transmission in neutral, revving it up, and slamming it to drive in order to pull out quickly), which would put a lot of strain on many different components. So as long as you don't notice any difference in the way it drives, there should be no problems, and I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
So hear is the short of it. Asshole in a Porsche cuts me off. I have to slam on the brakes and my puppy flys up to the front of the cab knocking the selector into Reverse. I didn't know that it got knocked into reverse and I hit the gas, and the truck just revs up and that is when I looked down and see it in Rev. My question is, is there a safety that is in place so I don't screw up my transmission?
i usually slam on the gas in a situation like that... swapping paint is fun.. esp. when its their fault :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
What you really need to realize is that people that drive those kind of cars own the road, and it is up to you to move out of their way.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What you really need to realize is that people that drive those kind of cars own the road, and it is up to you to move out of their way.
:eek:

I believe those that can run over, said Porsche, technically own the road. But seriously I am a courteous driver when people are being cool, and say THANKS! But when it is obviously a midlife crisis car and a dude that thinks he is king because he drives a Boxter,he should die.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:eek:

I believe those that can run over, said Porsche, technically own the road. But seriously I am a courteous driver when people are being cool, and say THANKS! But when it is obviously a midlife crisis car and a dude that thinks he is king because he drives a Boxter,he should die.
oh man you were joking...sorry, a little slow today.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would say you did not damage your truck nearly as much as you would have if you'd done a neutral drop(putting the transmission in neutral, revving it up, and slamming it to drive in order to pull out quickly).
This is also an effective way to quickly get a new transmission in your work truck because the company you work for wont fix it till its broke!
4 or 5 times and your on your way to the auto shop!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fuck that I'd have PIT the son of a bitch that is if ya got a good bumper. and yes I have knocked someone of the road in the past

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Yep, you have to press on the selector button to go into reverse from drive.
??? The FJ does not have a selector button. It's a gated type shifter.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ok.. did not know that :D Do you have to push on the top of the shifter to get it to move out of park? This is the case on my other car... It has a gated selector also... If its designed that way, I'm guessing you might have to give it a push to move out of neutral? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Nope, no buttons at all. My Yaris is the same way, I think all of the Toyota shifters are going this way.

·
Registered
261 Posts
THere was something on mythbusters last night about this very thing.

Anybody catch it,was pretty funny?

They did two tests that I remember,

:how far a car with manual would take to stop by putting it into reverse while doing 55.
Went long ass way and the dude could barely hold the stick in reverse.

:How far it takes a car with an auto to stop with the reverse applied at 55.
Suspense was building on the show,everyone was holding on in the car and making it look like this was dangerous. Got it going and raised the column shifter into Park and nothing happened. Just kept cruising.

There must be some sort of safe switch on autos nowadays from letting this kind of accident happen. Wasn't on a Toyota though so don't hold it against me and please don't try it,well maybe with the boss's car.:D

Sam

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well todays cars have electronically controlled transmissions. So if you put it in reverse while going forward at a high rate of speed, the computer will see that and not command the transmission to shift into reverse. Some even protect from putting it into too low of a gear at a high rate of speed. So his FJ is fine. On older cars its a different story. No computer so the transmission does what you want it to. The old push button transmissions were strong enough to peel out in reverse if you were to push reverse while going formard.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nope, no buttons at all. My Yaris is the same way, I think all of the Toyota shifters are going this way.
Yes, all Toyota automatics transmissions work by just pushing them now. There aren't any with buttons.

Well todays cars have electronically controlled transmissions. So if you put it in reverse while going forward at a high rate of speed, the computer will see that and not command the transmission to shift into reverse. Some even protect from putting it into too low of a gear at a high rate of speed. So his FJ is fine. On older cars its a different story. No computer so the transmission does what you want it to. The old push button transmissions were strong enough to peel out in reverse if you were to push reverse while going formard.
There is definitely no protection from shifting into reverse.
Had a guy at work flip it into reverse while we were doing about 20-25 mph the other day and it just kinda bounced to a stop. No banging or harsh noises, just felt like very slow-reacting ABS, and it didn't slow down all that fast. Car ran fine afterwards. And one guy I work with who shifts the autos way too early all the time shifted into park in a 4Runner while doing maybe 10 mph or so and it locked up the rear tires till we came to a stop(a second or two). I would imagine that was not very good for the truck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts