TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I ditched my mess of a 4 link for a 3 link. It rides and drives about 1000% better! The cool thing about it is that you could do this setup to any tacoma, custom frame or not and it was not that hard. The bars are 1.5"X.120 wall chromoly sleeved with 1.25"X.120 chromoly (I will probably sleeve again with 1.75" if it seems needed). Currie 2.5" Jonny joints and all the tabs are 1/4" steel. I lost a bit of clearance, but well worth it! Heres the page, I'll write more up later:
http://bimmerboys.com/tacominator/3 link.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
wow those are some long links. :) Have you noticed any suspension "jacking" under hard breaking do to having so little vertical seperation at the frame? I would guess if you don't it is due to the fact you are running the upper fairly centered on the axle.
NIce job, you do some very clean fabrication. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It dives just a touch, not much at all though. The upper link being nearly horizontal/ angling down a bit also helps combat this. I did my homework this time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
WILD YOTE said:
Nice work! You do some awesome fabbing. Just wondering if you had thought of doing a triangular upper link set-up?

That was my first thought. Even the 3 link in my Tracker has the upper link triangulated from the factory!

Hella clean work and some beautiful welds! :welder:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WILD YOTE said:
Nice work! You do some awesome fabbing. Just wondering if you had thought of doing a triangular upper link set-up?
I am assuming that you mean like on the rear end of so many coilover setups... If so, I tried to stay away from anything without a trackbar, just due to bump steer. I have 0 bump steer now and everything else seems good, I just wish I would have done this the first round... Thanks about the comments, you know what's funny is that my welds were just marginal before I started this project, something happened:confused:...
 

·
Dean
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
Tacominator said:
Hey guys, I ditched my mess of a 4 link for a 3 link. It rides and drives about 1000% better! The cool thing about it is that you could do this setup to any tacoma, custom frame or not and it was not that hard. The bars are 1.5"X.120 wall chromoly sleeved with 1.25"X.120 chromoly (I will probably sleeve again with 1.75" if it seems needed). Currie 2.5" Jonny joints and all the tabs are 1/4" steel. I lost a bit of clearance, but well worth it! Heres the page, I'll write more up later:
http://bimmerboys.com/tacominator/3 link.htm
NICE!!!
good job Jake
I know who I am going to talk 3 link with next week :):):)
you still going to AZ rocks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
does the truck swerve to one side when you slam the brakes on? since im never, ever satisfied with anything, i may be trying a 3 link very soon as well.

i could never imagine fitting a 4 link up front on a taco... there is soo much crap in the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
snowchucker said:
does the truck swerve to one side when you slam the brakes on? since im never, ever satisfied with anything, i may be trying a 3 link very soon as well.
I would do it! It dives less than the 4 link, very little if at all while still retaining sick flex. The one thing you will need to do one such as mine is the front range cross member since the 3rd link runs right through where the stock x member would be... I am so happy with the way it drives now, I would reccomend it to anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is another possibility if you are worried about symmetry: Run the middle link to the bottom of the axle and the 2 outers to the upper side. They have been doing this on land rovers for some time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
That's a cool setup. Any clearance issues b/t the upper link & oil pan, exhaust, etc? I really like the simplicity of the removable x-member. Any axle wrap or other negative aspects you've come across? More pics please...trac bar, flex shots, etc. Thanx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
roctaco said:
That's a cool setup. Any clearance issues b/t the upper link & oil pan, exhaust, etc? I really like the simplicity of the removable x-member. Any axle wrap or other negative aspects you've come across? More pics please...trac bar, flex shots, etc. Thanx.
No clearance issues, the axle moves to the passenger side because of the tracbar, its close, but that's how I like things! Axle wrap, isn't that only with leaf springs? Seems very good to excellent so far. NO diving upon braking, after Chuck asked I tested it really good, it's solid as hell. I am sleeving the lowers with 1 3/4" .120 chromoly so I'll have 3/8" of chromoly! That's probably the only negative aspect, they are so loooong that you need some very strong and or hefty material for the lowers. 3/8" of chromoly should be like 3/4" of dom... There are more pics on the website under the gallery.

Thanks Dick! I'm looking forward to meeting you and many other people at the rocks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Know what, I just realized that picture I posted was pointless... I'm sorry, I just got back testing the truck at Chiva, I'm very tired. I don't have any good shots of the links while flexed- I'll take some soon and post them here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
looking good. i think my lower links are about the same length as yours. i just need to unbolt the top radius arm link, and weld on 2 brackets for a 3 link. if i have time tomorrow, i may just throw one on my truck for shits and giggles. have to finish up the other list of to do's first.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
You know, that is a good idea for a Solid Axle Swap Coil Kit, if someone wanted to produce it, HINT HINT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I understand why people sleeve their links with multiple pieces of DOM, but why doesn't anyone just run soild round stock? I have 1 1/2" chromoly round stock at the shop that I used to make my tie rod and drag link. I know it's expensive, but by the time you buy 3 different sizes of chromoly tube, you will be spending as much as chromoly round stock.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top