TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is regarding the front bearings on a 98 ADD front end. The truck just hit 100K and I am curious as to whether the front bearings need to be packed at service intervals as suggested by the factory manual. I became aware of this potential issue when I noticed that the front wheel centers getting warm after a drive. The wheels spin very freely with the center nut snug (after CV boot change). When they are torqued they still spin but nowhere as freely. Also how do you remove the ADD hub if you need to service these. I am aware of the repair manual suggestions, but am curious to here from someone who has done it first hand. Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
shovelracer said:
My question is regarding the front bearings on a 98 ADD front end. The truck just hit 100K and I am curious as to whether the front bearings need to be packed at service intervals as suggested by the factory manual. I became aware of this potential issue when I noticed that the front wheel centers getting warm after a drive. The wheels spin very freely with the center nut snug (after CV boot change). When they are torqued they still spin but nowhere as freely. Also how do you remove the ADD hub if you need to service these. I am aware of the repair manual suggestions, but am curious to here from someone who has done it first hand. Thanks for any help
The Taco uses a sealed bearing assy, therefore no maintenance is required..The hub assy is pressed into the wheel bearing..The spindle would have to be removed and the hub pressed out of the bearing, then the bearing pressed out of the hub assy..

·
Registered
54 Posts
how much did it run you to replace them? i'm about to do the same thing next week

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any update on this?

I think I need to replace the bearing in the right side of my 95 Tacoma. The manual I have says to remove the wheel, shock, steering knuckle, then start pressing things apart.

Yikes! Is it really that much work to replace these things?!?!?

I ordered the bearing from NAPA for $85, but now I'm wondering if I want to tackle this myself!

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
rowdy said:
Any update on this?

I think I need to replace the bearing in the right side of my 95 Tacoma. The manual I have says to remove the wheel, shock, steering knuckle, then start pressing things apart.

I ordered the bearing from NAPA for $85, but now I'm wondering if I want to tackle this myself!
It's a PITA. You need a big press.

·
Your Rig Sucks
618 Posts
rowdy said:
Any update on this?

$85....... OUCH We retail the bearing for $69.01 DAYUM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ted said:
It's a PITA. You need a big press.
I was planning to have a local machine shop do the actual bearing installation, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to pull the hub out myself.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
just put a new (used) spindle from a parts yard on there, i think i paid something like 75 bucks for mine when i had ifs. alot easier than messing with that damn bearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
zszac111 said:
just put a new (used) spindle from a parts yard on there, i think i paid something like 75 bucks for mine when i had ifs. alot easier than messing with that damn bearing.

Hmmm, now that's an idea with merit! I just pulled the wheel off today for a looksy, and I don't think I care to get into this mess. Besides which, I'm not 100% positive that the bearing is what's bad.

Anyone know for sure what years will fit on a 95.5?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,559 Posts
rowdy said:
I was planning to have a local machine shop do the actual bearing installation, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to pull the hub out myself.
Just strip down the steering knuckle to the hub and then its all press work from there. I had a shop replace my front bearings at 225k miles and they really didn't need to be changed. Cost me $250 parts and labor with me handing the knuckles to the shop for the press work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did some checking around today, and the machine shop will do the press work for $20 or so if I bring the knuckle in. I also called a local tire shop/garage about putting my new front shocks and springs on, and they said they usually charge $80 for that type of intallation.

I'm turning into a wimp as I get older, I used to love doing all my own jobs, but the way my schedule has been lately, I'm seriously tempted to drop off the new suspension and bearing and let them have at it! I just hope the bearing is the problem.

I bought this truck with 119,000 miles on it, and now she has about 162,000 miles. Ever since I got it, there has been a roaring sound when going down the road that I though was just tire noise. Then I realized that it made the same noise on grass or gravel, so that ruled out tread noise. I got to looking and discoverd that the right front hub makes a grinding/rubbing noise when I spin it after removing the caliper.

It's definately in the area of the hub/CV junction, since I don't have any other symptoms of a bad CV joint I figure it must be a rough bearing.

The best way I can describe the noise is if you took a steel pipe and butted it up to a steel plate, threw on a bit of sand, and start turning it.

Sound right?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
rowdy said:
The best way I can describe the noise is if you took a steel pipe and butted it up to a steel plate, threw on a bit of sand, and start turning it.

Sound right?
yep, and when they start going they go quick, so get it fixed before you wheel decides it wants to fall off, (happened to me when i had IFS) luckly i was on the trails and had a spare spindle. so it was a 20 min fix. good luck.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,559 Posts
rowdy said:
I did some checking around today, and the machine shop will do the press work for $20 or so if I bring the knuckle in.
That sounds way cheap. I'm guessing they don't know whats involved in the R&R for the bearing. Guess they can learn the hard way...or you might learn the hard way. :eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
ShowStop said:
That sounds way cheap. I'm guessing they don't know whats involved in the R&R for the bearing. Guess they can learn the hard way...or you might learn the hard way. :eek:

Amen brotha!!! That's too cheap. I bet they're thinkin' it's a normal bearing peress job and it's far from a normal bearing replacement. It is by far the hardest wheel bearing I've ever changed. (and I've now done 5 of em) They are definately goina learn the hard way.

Rowdy and the others contemplating this job: Be damn sure to watch the shop do the pressing. If they don't use an arbor for supporting the inner race when pressing the hub back in, they are likely to ruin the bearing by pressing it apart. Custom pressing arbors are needed for this job. I have a set I've made. Shipped em out a few times so other Taco peeps could replace theirs. You need em, pay shipping to you and back to me when your done and they are yours to borrow.

Here's a few pics of the process. Front wheel bearing replacment procedure pics Got any ?'s leme know.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Here's a little tip. I found that it was better just to cut the brake dust shield off. Cut it once up front at the thin part right between the two front plate mounting bolts. then cut it again in the rear wide part and again between the two rear mounting bolts this time. Get a thin strip of steel, 1/8 th " or so, and tack weld the strip to one of the plate halves. Drill and tap the strip is several places and match drill the other plate half then attach the two halves together with low profile allen head screws. Now you have a removable dust shield. It makes the press work a whole lot easier without haveing that damn dust shield flopping around in the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SloPoke said:
Amen brotha!!! That's too cheap. I bet they're thinkin' it's a normal bearing peress job and it's far from a normal bearing replacement. It is by far the hardest wheel bearing I've ever changed. (and I've now done 5 of em) They are definately goina learn the hard way.

Rowdy and the others contemplating this job: Be damn sure to watch the shop do the pressing. If they don't use an arbor for supporting the inner race when pressing the hub back in, they are likely to ruin the bearing by pressing it apart. Custom pressing arbors are needed for this job. I have a set I've made. Shipped em out a few times so other Taco peeps could replace theirs. You need em, pay shipping to you and back to me when your done and they are yours to borrow.

Here's a few pics of the process. Front wheel bearing replacment procedure pics Got any ?'s leme know.
EEEK!!!!! And to think I was considering trying this myself!

Well after my experience with the machine shop guy this morning, he most definately WON'T be doing anymore work for me! I had dropped off the dront half of my rear drive shaft to get a new carrier bearing installed because I thought it was a press fit. When I picked it back up, I noticed that my index marks on the shaft and rear flange were off, so I asked the guy if he had used any reference marks. He said what the hell difference does it make, and got downright crappy when I made him re-align it!

Get home tonight and put it all back together and go for a 5 mile test drive, get home and discover that my drive shaft near the carrier is so hot I can't touch it! Apparently he didn't bother to grease the seal lips when he put the new bearing on! GRRRR!

I guess tomorrow night I pull the driveshaft again, and see if I can coax the bearing off and grease the seals. Is it this hard to find competent mechanics everywhere?!?!?

Back to the hub bearing, it's weird because it has been making this same noise for over 20,000 miles now, and the wheel still doesn't have any play in it! I talked to a local garage/tire shop today that does a lot of mechanical work, including heavy trucks. They said $80 or so for the bearing install if I just bring them the truck. They indicated that they had done these before, but I'll double check before I turn them loose!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts