TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was going to replace the front brakes this past weekend. i read the post on custom tacos in reference to front pad replacement. when i took off my front tire i discovered my caliper was a one piece unit. i took the bottom 17mm bolt out and removed the top and the whole caliper came off. not like what was in the post i was reading. i think that post is refering to a 2wd instead of a 4wd. after removing the caliper do i remove the small spring like retainer and the tow holding pins? will this allow the pads to come out ? i ran out of time and had put it back together. thanks to all replies.

96 taco 4x4 ext cab v-6 auto

·
Registered
199 Posts
you dont need to remove the caliper to remove the pads. just remove the wire clip and the pins should slide out releasing the anti rattle spring and the pads also. when you put the new pads back in, unscrew the banjo bold a bit, put a rag or something underneath to catch the brake fluid, take the end of a wrench, wrap it with some tape or a towel, and press on the caliper pistons, and pop in the new pads.

repeat on other side and bleed the system of air

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
atwinda
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing