TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 4WD Conversion, I got the PreRunner Transmission adapter plate kit and the "Lefty" T-case from Inchworm.

This setup is going to make my T-case sit about 4 1/2" more toward the rear than a stock Tacoma 4x4 would be.

I know the rear D-shaft is going to have to be shortened. I know the front driveshaft is made to telescope or flex a little bit, so my question is - is there enough flex in a stock front drive shaft for me to be able to just bolt it up and go, or am I going to have to modify the front D-shaft too?

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=976

·
Registered
342 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
For my 4WD Conversion, I got the PreRunner Transmission adapter plate kit and the "Lefty" T-case from Inchworm.

This setup is going to make my T-case sit about 4 1/2" more toward the rear than a stock Tacoma 4x4 would be.

I know the rear D-shaft is going to have to be shortened. I know the front driveshaft is made to telescope or flex a little bit, so my question is - is there enough flex in a stock front drive shaft for me to be able to just bolt it up and go, or am I going to have to modify the front D-shaft too?

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=976
i was going to ask a similar question so maybe we can both get them answered. what's the difference between the auto and 5speed. length on a tacoma front d-shaft.

and i'll try to answer yours. 4 inches isn't that much i would be surprised if there wasn't that much slip in them, some guys are re-using their stock dshaft for a solid axle swap.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Texan1983 said:
but his t-case is moving 4" back. i would say resize it man...
Yeah, I'd say get it all mounted up and then take some measurements and get both shafts sized appropriately. Go ahead and send them out to someone so that they're at wherever they need to be for modification. Ask them exactly how to get all of the measurements they need to determine the proper length for your shafts. Then when everything is installed, take the measurements, call them up, and have them start the work. Then maybe they can get them out to you next day or something.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
At 4" longer your going to be at the end of the slip if not slipped out all the way. Regardless of whether or not the diff moves up and down, do you really want to stomp on it in 4wd with only a inch or likely much much less of the splines engaged in the front driveshaft?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
banThis
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing