TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to get things finalized
how far forward did "you" anyone move their axle when they did their swap.
I will be running a D44 axle, 35" tires and coilovers.

·
Registered
650 Posts
as far forward as possible.
the front bolt mount on the ifs box should contact the body mount. on mine, aj's and a few others, we even take out a large chunk of the core support. Aj even removed his body mount all together and fabbed up some new supports. may need to trim some radiator mounting as well. of course all these were designed for the possibility of running 39"+ tires in the future.

the distance/ clearance of your TR, DL, and track bar will eventually locate your front axle. get it all mocked up on jackstands w/ tires, and make sure it wont hit under compression, when turned, etc.... then check it 10 times.

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snowchucker said:
as far forward as possible.
the front bolt mount on the ifs box should contact the body mount. on mine, aj's and a few others, we even take out a large chunk of the core support. Aj even removed his body mount all together and fabbed up some new supports. may need to trim some radiator mounting as well. of course all these were designed for the possibility of running 39"+ tires in the future.

the distance/ clearance of your TR, DL, and track bar will eventually locate your front axle. get it all mocked up on jackstands w/ tires, and make sure it wont hit under compression, when turned, etc.... then check it 10 times.
Hey Chuck
Not sure if I will ever run 39" tires ...maybe 37" some day. I want this rig to be my excursionary vehicle. so.... get the box as far forward as possible then locate the axle so it wont hit....got it.
Thanks man!! :)

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oztaco said:
hahaha, that's what we all said one day. better plan ahead so you don't end up doing the same job twice.
my advice.
Oz.
:) I said I would not SAS either...LOL
well if I ever go to 39's I will just move the steering box and prob go to full width axles... plus I have another toy that I want to build as the rock-n-rollover rig. that one is for sure getting full width axles and 39's.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
one thing to remember is that with a linked front end you wont have to worry about the tire stuffing into the pinchweld area as the axle will travel forward under compresion. still put the steering box as far forward as you possibly can

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PappaF2 said:
one thing to remember is that with a linked front end you wont have to worry about the tire stuffing into the pinchweld area as the axle will travel forward under compresion. still put the steering box as far forward as you possibly can
good call...I forgot about that part. I will see how far I can get it forward without having to cut body mounts and stuff :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Taco Newbie here... Glad to be here tho. :)
Do y'all tub the front wheelwells in the foot area of the cab to fit larger tires or just keep moving the axle forward? Mine will be SAS'd and will run 37-39s so I will need all the room I can get. Got pics or a link to someone who tubbed?
Thanks!
Bud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts