TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Jim and this is my first post, I am finaly finishing the new suspension on my truck this weekend. I am going to put the Total Chaos diff drop on and I was wondering who has done this or knows where there is some info on doing this? By the way the set up I will be runing is Donahoe Coilovers (been on for 2 months they rule) Total Chaos upper arms up front and the Deaver 7 leaf packs in the rear with Fox Emulsion Shocks in the rear (all my hard earned combat pay). I am also going to run 285 r16s. Anyone that has any info it would be great.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I removed my diff. drop spacers since they were not doing anything for my boot angles. THeyre very easy to install but just take note of your boots before you do it. Then put them in and see if the angles have decreased any.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
helajames said:
...wondering who has done this or knows where there is some info on doing this?
Hey, Jim. As you'll notice by the first couple of posts, many people feel the diff drop is a rather ineffectual modification. Other people feel it is worthwhile. It's one of those personal preference things, and like someone else already said, you may want to look at your inner CV boots now to see if you think you really need to do the diff drop (see if the fins are touching a lot, or showing signs of wear). If you decide you'd like to go ahead and do the diff drop, for whatever reason, here's some installation instructions:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml

(click on the "Installation" link in the contents, or just scroll down toward the middle of the page)

Luckily, it's a quick and easy procedure, and if afterwards you feel it didn't really do anything to help your CV angles, it can just as easily be removed. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
360 Posts
helajames said:
Hello,

My name is Jim and this is my first post, I am finaly finishing the new suspension on my truck this weekend. I am going to put the Total Chaos diff drop on and I was wondering who has done this or knows where there is some info on doing this? By the way the set up I will be runing is Donahoe Coilovers (been on for 2 months they rule) Total Chaos upper arms up front and the Deaver 7 leaf packs in the rear with Fox Emulsion Shocks in the rear (all my hard earned combat pay). I am also going to run 285 r16s. Anyone that has any info it would be great.
Get under your truck and look at your inner cv boots. If they are not pushed together, don't bother with the diff drop. As long as you can see a little bit of daylight in there, your fine. My drivers side boot just hardly rubs so I put mine in and the spacer moved it just enough so it didn't rub. I, however, take mine out before I go 4 wheelin cause I don't like it sucking up my ground clearence.

As for the install, pull your skids off and you will see where and how the front of the diff is mounted and how easy it is to install... just the 2 long bolts.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It helped my inners more than my outer boots with 3" of lift.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I said:
Does the drop require you to take off your skid-plate or something because it goes too low? Other than that, I dont see how it suck up clearance...???

Beside that, what harm can it do? Probably doesn weigh enough to have the body lift effect when runnin your truck hard.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Kyota said:
Does the drop require you to take off your skid-plate or something because it goes too low? Other than that, I dont see how it suck up clearance...???

Beside that, what harm can it do? Probably doesn weigh enough to have the body lift effect when runnin your truck hard.
It reduces the ground clearance of your skid plate since the diff now sist lower. It's right on the skid plate and you need to get longer bolts for the middle skidplate mounts or just bend the crap out of the mounts with the shorter bolts.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What Matt said

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
In either case, you can prolong cv boot life just by keeping the dirt off them. When you are done wheeling, just hose 'em off. The dirt acts like sandpaper increasing boot wear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts