TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so for some reason my front diff blew up driving in 2wd on the road today.

anyways i cant even drive it because it is so bad. the front wheel just locks up.

question #1: how do i tell if it is the lockright or gears? had some metal chunks fall out when i drained the fluid but couldnt tell if they were gear teeth or not.

question #2: i need my truck to get to work, and i cant just drive down to autozone and get a diff. is there a way i can still drive this? would removing the front drive shaft work? i have ADD so this blows.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The front driveshaft doesn't spin unless you are in 4wd so I don't think that is gonna help you. When you jack the truck up and spin the tires by hand do both tires bind up or just one side? <Edit...I forget you have a lockrite> Sorry to hear about your issue, disassembling front diffs suck! Pop your spare 4.10 in...but you probably don't have one.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front driveshaft doesn't spin unless you are in 4wd so I don't think that is gonna help you. When you jack the truck up and spin the tires by hand do both tires bind up or just one side? <Edit...I forget you have a lockrite> Sorry to hear about your issue, disassembling front diffs suck! Pop your spare 4.10 in...but you probably don't have one.
i went ahead and put it up on jack stands an removed the cvs.

thinking about about just upgrading to ARBs and 4.88s

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Greg your wheels can fall off without the outer cv stub bolted in. Dont drive it like that. You can bolt just the outer stubs back on and drive it.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg your wheels can fall off without the outer cv stub bolted in. Dont drive it like that. You can bolt just the outer stubs back on and drive it.
dont worry, its not leaving the jackstands till the front diff gets fixed. i know better than that;)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well bit the bullet and ordered 4.88s and ARBs front and rear from ECGS. that definitely hurt. i might regret that when i wake up in the morning

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
well bit the bullet and ordered 4.88s and ARBs front and rear from ECGS. that definitely hurt. i might regret that when i wake up in the morning
Didn't hold back on that one at all did ya? haha

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
need to go to the store and get more

figured if i was going to do it, do it right. hey the world is supposed to end in December anyways right? whats a little CC debt?:p
True... I'm going to have to convince Emily of the same if I want to wheel before the world ends haha

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why the selectable rear?
save some wear and tear on tires. lockright acts up every now and then in turns. locked rear sucks in the snow or icy roads. cant even keep it on the road in 2wd, have to keep it in 4wd.

honestly i was going back an forth between the two. i was just a little worried the rear lockright might crap out like the front one did, but thats probably just being paranoid now as ive never had a problem out of it. the ARB is supposed to be much stronger.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
save some wear and tear on tires. lockright acts up every now and then in turns. locked rear sucks in the snow or icy roads. cant even keep it on the road in 2wd, have to keep it in 4wd.

honestly i was going back an forth between the two. i was just a little worried the rear lockright might crap out like the front one did, but thats probably just being paranoid now as ive never had a problem out of it. the ARB is supposed to be much stronger.
Lockright acts up every now and then. I think I'll hang on to my cash

Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lockright acts up every now and then. I think I'll hang on to my cash

Tapatalk

thats fine. dont bother going with a auto locker then. there is nothing wrong with the locker, its just the nature of those types of lockers. If you dont learn how to drive with it then it will act up until you figure it out. do some research before you decide to buy a lockright.

for what its worth im going to call ecgs and see if I can get the rear diff changed back to a lockright over the ARB. was thinking, and it would be nice to have an ARB but not for the extra $500.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Hit the middle ground and get a Detroit....awesome product....almost invisible on the street, great offroad,.....i loved mine for winter driving also

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hit the middle ground and get a Detroit....awesome product....almost invisible on the street, great offroad,.....i loved mine for winter driving also
yeah, i just called them this morning and told them if it hasnt been built yet to change it to the lockright, if it has been built just leave it.

they would probably kill me if i called back and told them to change it to a detroit now lol.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So did you figure out where the metal chunks came from?

not yet. pulling the diff out tomorrow or friday. i did stick my finger in the drain hole to feel the ring gear and rotated it most of the way around and didnt feel any broken teeth. i think it is probably the lockright for it to completely lock up the front end like that.

on a side note, props to ECGS for fast shipping. ordered late sunday night and they shipped out yesterday. should be here tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts