TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The image I have was borrowed from another post. So my front diff started to leak from
. I did a little research and determined that it was the outer axle seal. I picked a replacement from the dealership and went to town. When i pulled out the oil seal it was different than the replacement. the original was primarily made out of metal with a rubber gasket in the center. the new one is covered in rubber and the hole in it for the CV spline is about an 1/8Th smaller than inner dust shield hole for the CV. my question is does anyone know if Toyota did an up date in the seal or was i handed the wrong seal ?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Sounds like you've got the right one. I just replaced mine last weekend and it was completely rubber on the outside with a rubber dust/dirt lip on the outside.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. but does that mean I need a new metal washer or inner dust cover to go with the new seal, or should it be the same. Also how deep did ou set the seal. I pushed it in as far as it would go but once I set the axle back in the metal washer floats instead of pushing up against the seal.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I don't think the metal washers really do anything. In fact, I think mine fell off a while ago when I swapped my diff. If you still have yours, just put the old ones back on.

In terms of how deep to set the seal, I went about 2mm past the bevel on the end of the diff. The FSM states about 4.5mm (link - page 7)

·
Registered
26 Posts
AAAHHHH the damn front axle seal. I have had both of mine go. My service manager says that I need to stay out of the rivers. :) :) ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
my question is does anyone know if Toyota did an up date in the seal or was i handed the wrong seal ?

I beleive they updated the seals. I replaced the drivers side about 2 years ago and it was metal with a rubber dust protrusion on the outside. I just bought one for the pass today and It is all rubber/plastic and looks compleatly different. Since you have the same one from a different region, im assuming they have changed them.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
my question is does anyone know if Toyota did an up date in the seal or was i handed the wrong seal ?

I beleive they updated the seals. I replaced the drivers side about 2 years ago and it was metal with a rubber dust protrusion on the outside. I just bought one for the pass today and It is all rubber/plastic and looks compleatly different. Since you have the same one from a different region, im assuming they have changed them.

they updated the seal. it is the same part number just made differently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts