TTORA Forum banner

front diff/hub removal

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ben90 
#1 ·
'96 Taco 4x4. planning to remove & sell front diff. from hub to hub. Can the truck still be driven in 2wd without the manual hubs installed? Is there still a wms to bolt the wheels to? I thought I'd post up here & risk being called a dunce before I went out to the garage & pulled off a front wheel to see for myself.

#2 ·
If you have ADD hubs on that truck, do not drive it with out the CV shafts and diff installed. The main hub nut on the CV shafts hold the hub bearings in place on an ADD hub truck. You will lose a wheel if you drive it.

#3 ·
roctaco said:
'96 Taco 4x4. planning to remove & sell front diff. from hub to hub. Can the truck still be driven in 2wd without the manual hubs installed? Is there still a wms to bolt the wheels to? I thought I'd post up here & risk being called a dunce before I went out to the garage & pulled off a front wheel to see for myself.
Ideally a complete manual hub swap would include your spindles too. And you couldnt drive around without them. Dunce. :D

#4 ·
John Luttrell said:
If you have ADD hubs on that truck, do not drive it with out the CV shafts and diff installed. The main hub nut on the CV shafts hold the hub bearings in place on an ADD hub truck. You will lose a wheel if you drive it.
The hubs are manual, & I want to know if I can remove them along with the CV's & still be able to drive the truck.

#5 ·
GOT COPE? said:
Ideally a complete manual hub swap would include your spindles too. And you couldnt drive around without them. Dunce. :D
I'm not doing a hub swap. I want to remove the front diff., CV's & hubs & sell them. Will be doing SAS eventually, but right know I still need to be able to drive the truck.

#6 ·
With manual hubs you can remove the front driveline. But as mentioned ideally the spindles are also worth selling as well. So make sure and stay out of as much water as you can until you have your axle on your truck.

I made the mistake you are trying to. By that I mean I sold my front drive line as I was doing my research for my SAS. I ended up selling the spindles and hubs and scheduled to start cutting. I ended up having to postpone my Cutting but already had the above mentioned parts sold.

I kept my word though and sold the parts, put my truck up on blocks for about a month and ended up buying some used ADD spindles, and CV's. Actually worked pretty good for another 3 years with a manual diff.

What I am saying is just make sure if you sell your parts that you are definitely going to be cutting soon, it sucks to have an incomplete truck.

#7 ·
roctaco said:
The hubs are manual, & I want to know if I can remove them along with the CV's & still be able to drive the truck.
Not recommended, but yeah, you can do it. Your gonna remove the manual hubs? Why not keep those with the spindle? You can still remove the CVs and run without the CVs, but it doesn't make sense to remove the hubs too.

#8 ·
Keep the manual hub CV axles with the spindles for the sale otherwise you will limit your ability to sell anything. I doubt many people will want the front diff but you will find customers for the manual hub stuff if you keep it together.

#9 ·
i may be interested in the whole setup. i think my front add diff is fucked. i havent had a chance to figure out what is wrong for sure but if the price is low enough ill jump on it. what gears u running?

#11 ·
bear, appreciate your feedback. Yes, it will be awhile b4 I do the front end, but I won't be able to use 4wd anyway, since i'm now in process of putting a d60 out back & gears are different ratio than front. I'll be a passenger on wheelin' trips for a while. However, whatever i sell will allow money to go towards getting the front D60 ready. I just want to be able to move the truck around in 2wd until I'm ready for cuttin'.

#12 ·
newbiw here. I want to convert my 98 tacoma ADD hubbs to manual ones. do i need new axles? im in the middle of replacing my stock axles because I tore the inner cv boots. I got "spicer" axles to put on but if they wont work with manual hubs I have to return them.

Ryan

#13 ·
To do a manual hub conversion you need manual hubs axles as the outers are different and different hub assemblies and the locking hubs themselves as well. Because pressing the the shit apart destroys the bearings and seals necessitating their replacement as well (I went to 30 tons pressing one out) the best way to go about it is to just find someone that has manual hubs and is doing the SAS thing then buy their axles and complete knuckle assemblies and do the swap wholesale. The other side of the coin and more sensible thing to do is to get the ARB locker.
The only viable reason to do a manual hub swap in the first place is because of the addition of an automatic locker. Now that the ARB locker is available, that is the better way to go.
The standard ADD axles are also a little stronger because the outer axle stubs are larger in diameter and are not compromised with C clip groves the way the manual hub axles are. I know because I still have the end of one out in my garage.

#14 ·
Dick Foster said:
To do a manual hub conversion you need manual hubs axles as the outers are different and different hub assemblies and the locking hubs themselves as well. Because pressing the the shit apart destroys the bearings and seals necessitating their replacement as well (I went to 30 tons pressing one out) the best way to go about it is to just find someone that has manual hubs and is doing the SAS thing then buy their axles and complete knuckle assemblies and do the swap wholesale. The other side of the coin and more sensible thing to do is to get the ARB locker.
The only viable reason to do a manual hub swap in the first place is because of the addition of an automatic locker. Now that the ARB locker is available, that is the better way to go.
The standard ADD axles are also a little stronger because the outer axle stubs are larger in diameter and are not compromised with C clip groves the way the manual hub axles are. I know because I still have the end of one out in my garage.
man, very good info. You just clarified some questions i had about differences between ADD and Manual Hub axles.

thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.