TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the passenger side CV axle yesterday and topped off the diff. I now have a slow gear oil leak where the axle goes into the differential housing. Did I damage a seal or did I just overfill the diff? This is an '01 with ADD. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
man o couldnt tell you if you broke a seal. how much over spill did you have? it may just be that leakin off your truck.

havent seen you in a while this is tatum from way back in the day of AL TTORA, hope to see ya around.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear from you Tatum. I had a small puddle of oil in the diveway this morning, that's how I noticed it. When I got under the trck, there was a drip on the diff housing where the axle slides in. I dried it off three or four times but it keeps coming back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cappleton3 said:
Good to hear from you Tatum. I had a small puddle of oil in the diveway this morning, that's how I noticed it. When I got under the trck, there was a drip on the diff housing where the axle slides in. I dried it off three or four times but it keeps coming back.
it must be a seal i guess.. if i had to bet i would say it is the seal that guides that pass. CV into the diff. I got a friend who works at hoover yota if you want some stock seals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T4mudn said:
it must be a seal i guess.. if i had to bet i would say it is the seal that guides that pass. CV into the diff. I got a friend who works at hoover yota if you want some stock seals.
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. I saw your truck up at Galyans the other day. I went in to get some fishing tackle but didn't see you. We need to get a ride together soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cappleton3 said:
I saw your truck up at Galyans the other day. I went in to get some fishing tackle but didn't see you. We need to get a ride together soon.
Yea i have/had a job @Galyans but now its Dick's. I still work there in the Hunt fish dept. but i had to pick up a second job. Its hard to work around school and then have a life on top of those two.

Do you still get on the AL Board i dont know many ppl on there anymore.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T4mudn said:
Yea i have/had a job @Galyans but now its Dick's. I still work there in the Hunt fish dept. but i had to pick up a second job. Its hard to work around school and then have a life on top of those two.

Do you still get on the AL Board i dont know many ppl on there anymore.
I keep an eye on it but don't post much there anymore. Not much activity. I'll probably see you up there at Dick's sometime. I spend a LOT of money there in the Spring and Summer.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Try pulling the CV back out and check for two things
1) That the spring is still in place behind the edge of the seal
2) Make sure the metal dirt guard (if you put it back in) isnt facing the wrong way and forcing a gap in the seal.

Tim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tbplus10 said:
Try pulling the CV back out and check for two things
1) That the spring is still in place behind the edge of the seal
2) Make sure the metal dirt guard (if you put it back in) isnt facing the wrong way and forcing a gap in the seal.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I'll check those two things out. I hate pulling it all back apart, but there isn't any way around it. I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hopefully its as easy as the spring came off while you were wrestling the CV back in.
I had the same issue this past summer, the dirt guard tore the seal though, I didnt find out untill I drove 150 miles to go wheeling. Luckily we were short of spotters that day and I got an open seat on another truck.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts