TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram?
I think I may have a broken wire - no green light and no engaugment in the front diff. Shifts fine driveline is turning- -the collar is just not doing it's thing.
So I need to figure out where and how it's getting it's signal.

Thanks,
TBob

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
TBob said:
Real men don't need no stinking IFS - I'll be so glad once I'm swaped. :mad:
Hey Bob....any idea on where I can get some firewood for cheap? How much is a coord of wood and will that fit in the bed of my truck or in a trailer if I was to tow it? What if it's raining outside when/if I pick it up? Will I have more capacity in my trailer/bed? How much will it all weigh, how long will it burn? :D

·
Registered
881 Posts
4xClover said:
Hey Bob....any idea on where I can get some firewood for cheap? How much is a coord of wood and will that fit in the bed of my truck or in a trailer if I was to tow it? What if it's raining outside when/if I pick it up? Will I have more capacity in my trailer/bed? How much will it all weigh, how long will it burn? :D
Can I haul firewood with a 6" fabtech lift on?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
4xClover said:
hmm, a cord of wood is 128 cubic feet or 4'x8'x4'. Green hardwood like oak or almond weighs around 6k#/cord. Dry is about 2/3 that amount.
;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey T-bob I have the same problem with mine, and its the front acctuator thats burnt out. You can engage it manually tho, because a new one is around$300!!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
esplain - ?? the motor unit?> why would it be burned out it only has 30k and has never been used? I do have my old one tho that works fine so I could swap em but I would think that it a wire - I just installed that diff and it worked fine when I first did it. Got more details?

Thanks,
TBob

nauvooguy said:
Hey T-bob I have the same problem with mine, and its the front acctuator thats burnt out. You can engage it manually tho, because a new one is around$300!!

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I serously doubt that it burnt out as you say. More likely a little dirty or gummed up inside or something is just plain broken. Unless you've been jacking around with the wiring not knowing what you're doing, it's pretty hard for them to burn out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My truck only has about 75k on it and mine is bad. Its not a sealed unit(meaning from the factory no RTV or some sort of silicone)so any kind of water crossings can get in there and gum it up like dick said. When I first took mine apart, it had water in it, which was rusty because of the magnets in there, and so I drained it out and sprayed brake cleaner on everything and dried it off. From then on it worked up until a few weeks ago. Now its doing the same thing. I'm sure I could just clean it again and it will start working again.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
TBob said:
esplain - ?? the motor unit?> why would it be burned out it only has 30k and has never been used? I do have my old one tho that works fine so I could swap em but I would think that it a wire - I just installed that diff and it worked fine when I first did it. Got more details?

Thanks,
TBob
Well how many miles does your truck have on it... per what I heard from Toyota they've been having a few issues with the accuator motor burning out on the later model Tacomas with electric engagement versus vacuum. I just had mine replaced under drivetrain warranty... no light, driveshaft spinning, tcase engagement can be heard, power to front diff, etc... I also heard from my old Toyota dealership about a problem they had with the bulb in the dash burning out and causing an open in the circuit, thus preventing 4WD from engaging... although my bet from what you've said is the accuator motor...

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
sexy.taco said:
I also heard from my old Toyota dealership about a problem they had with the bulb in the dash burning out and causing an open in the circuit, thus preventing 4WD from engaging...
I need to yank my gauge cluster out one of these days, I could test that theory....but I would consider it very unlikely that that much current is directed through that lamp....but maybe that's what would burn it up...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Jade said:
I need to yank my gauge cluster out one of these days, I could test that theory....but I would consider it very unlikely that that much current is directed through that lamp....but maybe that's what would burn it up...
Well I didn't test the theory... a tech I used to work with at Toyota was telling me about it when I was trying to diag my 4wd issue. I guess it took him and his whole team a while to figure out why the diff wasn't engaging. From looking at the EWD for the circuit, the lamp is in series with power flow and with the electronics in circuits being so sensative with the newer vehicles, I can see something like that happening... kind of like a fail safe mode but not. Although power flow into the 4wd circuit comes from a few different areas... I would like to see what straight battery voltage would do to a little tiny bulb like that :)

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Careful with the brake clean, there's plastic and rubber O rings in there and brake clean attacks plastic and rubber. It's not a good idea at all to use brake cleaner inside of an actuator. Electronic cleaner made to be use with plactics is the key. If you need to cut some heavy grunde maybe a little paint thinner (not lacquer thinner) immediately followed by some electronic cleaner and or alcohol to get the paint thinner out of there.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I don't think they would source have any kind of current flow for the actuator through a light bulb. Most of the indicator lamps in Toyotas are wire hot to a +12V fused source then switching the ground or return side illuminates the bulb.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts