TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am sure these two questions have been answered a hundred times before but give me a hand here will you...

95.5 Tacoma auto

Front diff does not seem to lock. When I am going too fast to engage, the warning light comes on and it beeps. At appropriate speed, no light; I assume it is the same dash light when it locks in as when you get the warning.

I do here a clunking sound that feels like it is comming from the transfer case. I also can hear a clicking, like a relay is clicking in and out when I push the button on the 4wd shifter. I assume the fuse is ok since I hear the clicking, but it dosn't seem like I am getting all the way in 4wd though. Good lube in axles and no problems before.

Let me know because it is too cold and I'm too busy (and lazy) to go hunting underneath for problems. I did look at the plugs and wire to the solenoid and they "appeared" ok.

Second, I have this really anoying rattle. It is like a buzzing piece of sheet metal. My guess would be some heat shield on or near the exhaust manifold that is rusting out, but to tell the truth I haven't taken a look yet. My guess is several of you have already had this problem.

Thanks and happy holidays too all.

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry, dude but both of your problems will require some time under your truck. Diagnose the rattle by getting under there and shaking things loose. Verify that your transfer case is working by shifting into 4-Low -- you'll know if it's not engaged. Verify your front diff is working by steering -- it's a bit harder to steer in 4WD if the diff is engaged. If the front differential is not engaging, start by looking for loose/broken vacuum hoses. if the hoses look OK, then check the electric connections with a voltmeter. If the hoses and electrics are OK, then check the actuator on the differential with a vacuum gauge/pump. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
from what i've seen, most people having problems getting into 4wd had a vaccum hose come off

·
Registered
297 Posts
First of all, I dont know of any single locker (besides the factory rear) that will blink when going too fast and not engage. Therefore I have to assume you are trying to just put it in 4wd in that case. Hit the button and try turning like the other guy said. If it binds, youre golden. If it doesnt, check the vacuum hoses and solenoids. For the rattle, check the shield above the cat, sometimes that comes loose. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts