TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a good place to get the right tool to remove the front differential drain plug. I found one for $17!!!!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i picked up a set of allens that fit on a 3/8" ratchet for a little bit more than that

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I believe the last time I did mine my extension without a socket on my 1/2" drive fit in there.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
X2 grill: they are metric. Right tool for the right job.:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
i went to advance auto and got just the right size for 4 bucks

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
just weld a 3/4" nut on there and use a wrench ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
my 10mm came in a set for 3/8ths. had to get a separate 12mm...came in 1/2". when trying to break the plug...alot of the hexes have rounded ends. so make sure you've got a good seat with the hex before applying force, or you'll strip it. anchoring the head of the ratchet with your free hand while torquing it helps too. make sure you get the metric...these are easy to strip without the proper size..

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, as I found, they're easy to strip *with* the proper size. 10mm hex. Set firmly in drian plug. Breaker bar. Then pray that it turns the threads and not the hex lining of the plug.

Good luck!

I wish I knew how to weld, now...
-Radar

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Use a spare lug nut

You guys should look at these threads before proceeding
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36397&highlight=stripped+front+drain+plug
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=127658#post127658

Get an impact 1/2" drive 10mm Hex bit with impact wrench for removal.
Damn that's an UGLY weld:) I'm surprized you posted that pic. It's kinda like showing up at the prom with a fat chick. JK Sorry...had to go there.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use a 3/8" drive 10mm hex socket with a 3/8" breaker bar, I have had to heat them up before but I've never had one not come out, and remember to but the crush gasket back in or you'll get a leak...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts