TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this? Just got back from a short drive down the highway, thought I could smell gear oil (nasty smell) got out to look and there was gear oil all down the side and back of the truck the entire underneath was coved in that nasty stuff. Anyway got to looking and the gear oil is shooting out the front diff breather tube, looks like I've lost at least a pint of that stuff. I know that oil heats up but I don't see how it could shoot it out the tube, it sits pretty high in the engine conpartment. I stuck a filter on the end and took of the stock valve but it still shoots out. If anyone has any ideas whats causes this please let me know. Jon

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I'm getting something similar on my daughter's '97 front diff. Only it looks like the seal around the drive shaft is leaking. I want to put some gear oil in it until I can get the seal replaced (don't know if I'm going to do it myself or not yet) but I don't have a 10mm hex head to open the fill plug. GAH! A trip to the parts store.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
It's shooting out where the tube connects to the diff? Is the line going to your filter kinked? Is the filter working? Take it off of the diff and blow in it. If you can't blow through it then the gases in the diff can't escape. As pressure builds up ... ya know that whole thing about the weakest link?

If it's coming out the filter at the top of the line I'm not sure what you did wrong :)

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
DriftinCO said:
I'm getting something similar on my daughter's '97 front diff. Only it looks like the seal around the drive shaft is leaking. I want to put some gear oil in it until I can get the seal replaced (don't know if I'm going to do it myself or not yet) but I don't have a 10mm hex head to open the fill plug. GAH! A trip to the parts store.
FWIW that seal is called the pinion seal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
JonnyDelux said:
Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this? Just got back from a short drive down the highway, thought I could smell gear oil (nasty smell) got out to look and there was gear oil all down the side and back of the truck the entire underneath was coved in that nasty stuff. Anyway got to looking and the gear oil is shooting out the front diff breather tube, looks like I've lost at least a pint of that stuff. I know that oil heats up but I don't see how it could shoot it out the tube, it sits pretty high in the engine conpartment. I stuck a filter on the end and took of the stock valve but it still shoots out. If anyone has any ideas whats causes this please let me know. Jon
Water in the diff heat up and expand, just a guess.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
JonnyDelux said:
have you chanaged the front diff oil lately? overfilling is what does this and it doesn't take much to make a mess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changed it about a year ago. Just put some new royal purple in it today, the oil that came out of it looked good no water or metal chunks. I dont see how you could over fill it. If you put to much in it comes back out the filler hole.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
JonnyDelux said:
Changed it about a year ago. Just put some new royal purple in it today, the oil that came out of it looked good no water or metal chunks. I dont see how you could over fill it. If you put to much in it comes back out the filler hole.
It ain't as hard as you'd think. I've overfilled it once and Toyota has done it twice. Like I said, it doesn't take much and out she blows. the nice thing is that what seems like a pint is actually a couple of tablespoons and after it quits blowing the level is where it should be. When the oil gets heated up and spurts out the breather it sprays everywhere and makes it look like you've lost half your diff oil.

If you check the FSM you'll see that the level should be taken on a level surface, not a sloped driveway (like mine is) and it should NOT be right up to the edge and trickling out. It is supposed to be just below that, about 1/4". If you have oil trickling out when you replace the plug it is overful.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I had the exact same problem after about 1.5-2hrs on the highway right after I bought the truck (used) took it back to the dealership and they said it was overfilled, they the changed fluid, made sure the level was correct, and I have never had trouble since...just my .02...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys must be right. I dont see how it could be anything elts. If its supposed to be 1/4" below the filler hole, I always fill it till it comes back out the filler hole. Thanks for the help.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
JonnyDelux said:
You guys must be right. I dont see how it could be anything elts. If its supposed to be 1/4" below the filler hole, I always fill it till it comes back out the filler hole. Thanks for the help.
or...just fill it as you normally would but wrap a rag around the breather valve to catch the excess blow :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts