TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
front diff problems: update

I have a fabtech 6" kit on my truck with 35's and 5.29's. shortly after putting the lift on, i was driving to work in the snow in 4hi and my front tires locked up while going about 50mph. so i popped it out of 4wd quickly. after looking at it we discovered that the pinion bearing (where the drive shaft goes in the diff) had burnt up and allowed the pinion gear to hit the carrier. well, my mechanic pulled everything out and replaced the bearing and seal but gears were still in good shape. he said it looked like, to him, that the bearing was not getting oiled good where the diff is angled up from the lift. so we overfilled it slightly. tonight, driving in the snow again at about 30mph my front end locked up again and stalled the truck. it looks like the same thing happened again. anyone else with a 6" lift experience this? any fix for this? any ideas if there could be another problem causing this?

thanks.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Well coming from someone who had a similiar issue but no lift that effects the pinion angle, yes Fabtech's are known to tilt the pinion angle up high enough to starve the bearing of oil. Over filling it slightly is not enough, you'd need to highly over fill it.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Fabtech knows about this and it's a common problem. Call up fabtech they have replaced it in the past for people. You will need to way overfill the diff to get enough oil.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have this lift and had no problems like that with 40K on it. But I will over fill my front for now on.. But how much can we over fill it without causing problems with the breather.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i talked to someone at fabtech named armen and he claims they have no record of this being a problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rebuilt98 said:
Then he's lying. It's not just the TTORA guys claiming there is a problem.
tried to find a post about this problem in the past. Could not find it.. you help me out and tell me where if not on this site i can find those posts. Thanks

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
wv_tacoman said:
i talked to someone at fabtech named armen and he claims they have no record of this being a problem.
Wonder why they covered the two that Alex at PORC had that welded them selves to the inside of the 3rd? I think Armen has no idea what he is talking about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i called armen today and discussed my problems. he still claims that they dont have problems with the tacoma differential with their lift. he said " we put these lifts on all kinds of other trucks (chevy, ford, etc) and they dont have problems." i told him this was the second time this happened and he said it was probably installed incorrectly or that it was low on oil, but that is bs because it was over full when my mechanic took it out this time and it had welded the bearing to the housing. he wants my mechanic to call him now. just thought i would give an update on this. stay away from fabtech!!! if i could take it off i would!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
wv_tacoman
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing