TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TacoRose's '97 Taco is leaking gear oil from somewhere around where the drive shaft enters the front diff. It's definitely gear oil, but it "looks" like it's coming from the power steering lines where the hose meets up with the hard line. So I started to pull the fill plug and gear oil drained out as I loosened the plug. And it was clean. Hmmm...so I'm stumped.

If it is the seal around the drive shaft, how difficult is that to replace?

*scratches head on this one*

Driftinco

·
Registered
983 Posts
It's not difficult if you have a good working knowledge of ring and pinion relations and the preloading proceedures. You will definantly need a manual and torque wrenchs. Let us know if you are going to tackle this and i can e-mail you the tech data you will need.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're gonna tackle the seal where the drive shaft enters the front diff... can I still get a copy of the tech data? driftinco-62 (at) yahoo.com

·
Registered
294 Posts
DriftinCO said:
We're gonna tackle the seal where the drive shaft enters the front diff... can I still get a copy of the tech data? driftinco-62 (at) yahoo.com
Brain, mail me if you need info

·
Registered
983 Posts
Couldn't get it to go through at that address..........the entire manual is at this location. You can look the info up there...............the manual is for the late model taco's, but the pinion seal info is the same.

http://fsm.afraid.org/

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
going to do the front diff seal replacement on sat morning. I have the seal and the lock nut is on order. supposed to be in on friday. all i need are the directions. could you send them please?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,528 Posts
DriftinCO said:
going to do the front diff seal replacement on sat morning. I have the seal and the lock nut is on order. supposed to be in on friday. all i need are the directions. could you send them please?
Directions are here:
http://65.200.1.6/FSM/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/sa/fdros4wd/repl.pdf

Skip the part about the bearing and crush sleeve replacement. Do not overtorque the pinion nut. Start lower then the factory spec (80ft/lbs) and work your way up until you get the preload within specs. If you overtorque and get too much preload, then you will have to replace that crush sleeve and start again.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rich brought it down. Cool, thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts