TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running a Fabtech 6" since Aug. I have a strange clunk coming from the front end on both sides. It happens most often when the front suspension loads up, like under really hard breaking or cornering while braking. Also, I can sorta feel something under my left foot when it happens. I just got anther 1 1/8 wrench so tomorrow I am going to try and re-tighten the main bolts. I have also re-tightened the bolts that the support bars attatch to (tranny x-member and front mounts) I was thinking it could be a few things:

1. just normal movement (if there is any) of the drop brackets and the sound could be the sound of the support bars.

2. could it be my upper balljoints? I had the fabtech ones installed and there wasnt much grease in them when I checked today. I added some, but didnt solve anything (the fabtech balljoints have a grease fitting on them).

3. I am truly fuc**d and my truck will fall apart tomorrow!!!

:eek:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
if its under ur left foot check ur sliders to make sure the body isnt just smacking them, alota guys have a brace for there sliders right under ur foot. call me an idiot but i see alot of people think somethings wrong with there truck and thats all it is. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil88 said:
if its under ur left foot check ur sliders to make sure the body isnt just smacking them, alota guys have a brace for there sliders right under ur foot. call me an idiot but i see alot of people think somethings wrong with there truck and thats all it is. :rolleyes:
I really cant be the sliders as they are in the original spot and I have a 3" BL. That is unless my frame/body is flexing really badly!! But your idea of people thinking things are wrong when ther isnt anything wrong is a good point. This is my first experience with a susp lift like this and I dont know if a little clunking is normal.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
joeylead said:
I really cant be the sliders as they are in the original spot and I have a 3" BL. That is unless my frame/body is flexing really badly!! But your idea of people thinking things are wrong when ther isnt anything wrong is a good point. This is my first experience with a susp lift like this and I dont know if a little clunking is normal.
Check to see if the cam bolts are tight on the lower control arm.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ptrautne said:
Check to see if the cam bolts are tight on the lower control arm.

I will check that, but I just had the truck re-aligned today and it is still doing it. I assume they would have had to adjust those bolts, but I guess I should never assume anything!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Check the bolts on the sway bar, if you still have it, they tend to "clunk" if it's loose.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ATLRoach said:
Check the bolts on the sway bar, if you still have it, they tend to "clunk" if it's loose.

I never thought of that, I am actually pretty sure that will be the problem. I know that they are loose. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KenRiceHilo said:
Was that the actual problem? Hope it was something easy to fix.

I just had some snow and the temps are freezing outside so ihavent had a chance to work on the truck in a few days. It is supposed to warm up by the end of the week and I will tighten eveything down again. But, now that I think about it, the sound started after I began messing with my swaybar. It doesnt line up on the endlinks quite right and to alleviate some of the stress i loosened the endlink nuts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you tighten all the bolts down tight before it had the weight of your truck on it. I have had to deal with a couple problems of ware and creaking noise where some one had tightened bolts down too tight before the weight of the truck was applied that added stress can be too much some times

·
Registered
110 Posts
joeylead said:
I have been running a Fabtech 6" since Aug. I have a strange clunk coming from the front end on both sides. It happens most often when the front suspension loads up, like under really hard breaking or cornering while braking. Also, I can sorta feel something under my left foot when it happens. I just got anther 1 1/8 wrench so tomorrow I am going to try and re-tighten the main bolts. I have also re-tightened the bolts that the support bars attatch to (tranny x-member and front mounts) I was thinking it could be a few things:

1. just normal movement (if there is any) of the drop brackets and the sound could be the sound of the support bars.

2. could it be my upper balljoints? I had the fabtech ones installed and there wasnt much grease in them when I checked today. I added some, but didnt solve anything (the fabtech balljoints have a grease fitting on them).

3. I am truly fuc**d and my truck will fall apart tomorrow!!!

:eek:
a lot of times when your front end suspension is going you will feel it under your feet. my guess would be that your front struts might be going bad.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
01blkext said:
Did you tighten all the bolts down tight before it had the weight of your truck on it. I have had to deal with a couple problems of ware and creaking noise where some one had tightened bolts down too tight before the weight of the truck was applied that added stress can be too much some times

I tightened up everyhting then lowered the truck, but then tightened a little more. i dont know if I tightened stuff up to much before lowering it though. If i did, how can i alleviate the stress before causing damage.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tacoman13 said:
a lot of times when your front end suspension is going you will feel it under your feet. my guess would be that your front struts might be going bad.

Well the struts are new so they better not be done yet!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the exact same noise with my Fabtech lift, I never put too much effort into seeking out the cause of it, I'll probably go check it out tomorrow, if i find anything I'll let you know. If you find the cause of it I would love to know as well. Do you find that your ride is stiff as a dump truck with the Fabtech lift...I sure do, except right after wheeling it. My lift has been installed since March of 04 and i figured it would have loosened up by now. Some times are better than others but I am starting to think that something is not right, you would think that with the factory front springs being used over again the ride would be close to stock in the front, but when i try to compress the front by jumping on the front bumper it's really really stiff...just wondering if you are having the same results with you lift. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is some good information as I am planning on doing this lift later in the month... Once I get back from this deployment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts